Natural Bridges national Monument

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Kayenta middle of August. Is it worthwhile to go to the Natural Bridges minumnet? How long would it take to drive from Kayenta to the monument? We want to return the same day to Four corners and then proceed to petrified forest. Is this too ambitious? Any help will be much appreciated.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM

Do you mean Arches National Monument, just outside Moab, UT?
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 04:36 PM

Is it worthwhile to go to the Natural Bridges minumnet?

I'm sure some will disagree, but I wouldn't drive that far just to see NBNM. It's okay but it's a fairly long drive. I've spent a fair amount of time up on that plateau, hiking thru and under all the main bridges, and I think there are more scenic places to visit, even on the plateau. Grand Gulch and three of the lesser known canyons with beautiful Indian ruins come to mind. So maybe do this as a side-trip on the way to Moab, but I wouldn't advise coming up from Kayenta just for a day trip to see it.

How long would it take to drive from Kayenta to the monument?

Assuming you turn off just north of Mexican Hat and take the dirt road up Moki Dugway I think it will take about 2 - 2.5 hours from Kayenta.

Make sure you top your gas tank in Mexican Hat, there is zero gas up on the plateau, distances are fairly long, and a lot of people run out of gas up there.

We want to return the same day to Four corners and then proceed to petrified forest. Is this too ambitious?

Yes!

Bill
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM

Do you mean Arches National Monument, just outside Moab, UT?

No ... this is the link to Natural Bridges NM ... http://www.nps.gov/nabr/
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM

I somewhat agree with Bill H. The main reason that I wouldn't go is that there is only 3 bridges. I do think that there is another one along the canyon, but I missed it.

But, on the other hand, Sipapu Bridge is one seriously impressive span. The size of it cannot be appreciated from the overlook, you must hike down into it to get the full effect. I know that Landscape Arch is longer, but Sipapu is so Tall and it is wide. I think it is the 7th largest span, but I wonder where it ranks as far as the size of entire hole. It just seemed really big to me. The other two bridges are, well, just like any other fairly large Arch or Bridge (but still very nice). You may have seen enough bridges and arches in Monument Valley by the time you are through with it. But, Sipapu is definately in my top 3 or 4 spans that I have seen. My favorite is Double Arch in Arches NP. Of course, Delicate Arch and Landscape are certainly amazing sites also. We hiked all through Arches and there are many impressive arches on the day hikes that most people never see.

If you have seen Landscape Arch, you know that it looks like it could crumble at any moment. Sipapu looks like you could drive a train over it. It looks very stable and strong.

I haven't been to Grand Gulch, but I have read about several times. Probably a great place.

Another positve- about the Natural Bridges trip, is that you could see Goosenecks, Moki Dugway and Muley Point.

as Bill said-There is absolutely nothing to eat, drink, or gas for miles around, so come prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will only need a half an hour at Four Corners.

I think going all the way back to Petrified Forest is seriously not doable.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Your answers help us a lot in deciding our itinery. This was my first post on this forum and I really appreciate the quick responses.