Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Using Expedia for College visit East - Tons of snow expected...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked a ticket for my daughter to look at a college in NY tomorrow. She flies through Philly - i see that they are expecting12-18 inches of snow tomorrow.

I did not purchase travel insurance (dumb) - I wonder if the flight will be cancelled.....
If not, do they allow to change dates, etc....

I know I need to go to the web site or call, but thought I would come here first,.....
any experince with them anyone????

Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Before the December snowstorm hit, we were able to reschedule our USAirways flight out of PHL (at no charge). On the airline homepage, there was a weather alert that linked to the airports and dates covered by their re-schedule policy.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM

We had that happen too, we went to the airline before the cancellation, said that we would be willing to travel earlier which would make it easier for them to schedule cancelled people after and they were happy to do it. In theory, they need to put her on the next available flight, but people who hold tickets for that flight get to go first, then the people who were cancelled get to be worked in.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp will link you to the FAA's Air Traffic Control center on flight delays. You can check the airport status and delays.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Was oh hold forever and had to hang up - i would think the flight to Philly will be cancelled with upcoming horrible amount of snow due....
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM

It's not too late to purchase travel insurance, but you do have to carefully select a policy as coverage for weather related flight cancellations varies, so you have to read everything carefully. Not all weather related cancellations/delays are covered.

You didn't mention departure city, but weather could create cancellations/delays on the first and/or second flight. Sometimes weather conditions reduce the number of flights allowed to land/take off. If her flight to Philadelphia is not cancelled, she could be sitting on a plane for a long time awaiting departure to Philadelphis, and she could get stranded in Philadelphia, if she misses the connecting flight.

In the meantime, the airlines usually allow you to rebook to avoid weather cancellations with no charge or penalty. You may or not be successful with this with an Expedia booking.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM

"Was oh hold forever and had to hang up -"

While you were on hold, everyone else was on the airline's website rescheduling their flights (for free).
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

well, Bardo, that is precisely why I came to this web site and called Expedia - I have NEVER used Expedia before.I cannot change it without penalty.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM

If Expedia told you that the ticket cannot be changed without penalty, you could still try calling the airline directly. You may or may not be successful...much depends on your "presentation".

But, with the weather forecast, it would probably be best to just reschedule the trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

We just recieved a call it has been cancelled. I will just use the credit to rebook the trip i guess.
My daughter was so excited to see the school which happens to be in NY. I guess we will try again once there is a thaw!!