Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what happens if my flight is cancelled due to snow?

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having a happy holiday season. I have a question in regards to what happens if flights are cancelled due to weather. I have no insurance for a flight that is supposed to leave at 6 am on Dec 30th, and it is now expected to snow until then (40% chance on the 30th).
How bad does the weather have to get before they cancel a flight? It is not really a storm, no wind or anything.
Also, I just booked the flight late yesterday, can I still buy insurance?
The flight is on Northwest airlines, but I booked through travelocity (penalty for changes). It is from Winnipeg (Canada) to Orlando. What happens if the flight is cancelled? Am I just out of luck? My ticket does state non-refundable.

Thanks a bunch!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM
GoTravel

raindrop, if snow is iminent call the airlines. They will probably let you take an earlier flight.

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:15 AM
J62

Airports in the north are equiped to handle snow storms. The forecast in Winnipeg is for snow flurries to snow showers, not a major accumulation, so I think you have nothing to worry about.

6am departure means that the plane will be on the ground the night before, and there will not be a backlog of planes waiting for de-icing.

A big snow storm of 1-2" per hour accumulation over several hours can cancel flights, but anything less usually just means delays at the busy hubs.

Relax and enjoy the trip to FLA.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:15 AM

They will try to book you on another flight, for no fee.

By the way, planes leave ALL THE TIME when it's snowing. Unless there is some HUGE storm don't give it another thought.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM

I have had a flight cancelled over Christmas due to snow and they could not get me on a different flight for 4 days, and they gave me my money back. They are flexible unless they get you out within a reasonable time.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM
J62

And if bad weather is forecast (as in a major storm), airlines will often let you change flights without penalty (earlier or later flight, different day, etc) - check the airline website.

If the flight is cancelled, the airline will put you on the next available flight. (you won't be the only passenger they need to rebook, so call the airline 800# rather than waiting in a queue to deal with a harried airline employee at the airport.)
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:38 PM

You can still buy insurance - I use this one, travelguard.com, really reasonable, and peace of mind for lost luggage, trip delays, etc. Make sure you read all the fine print tho because some of the coverages vary slightly.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM

It's Winnipeg. They're used to snow there. Unfortunately, even an early morning flight can mean delays for de-icing (we waited an hour for de-icing for our 6:30 am flight), but you'll get to where you're going eventually.

You could buy insurance if you wanted, but don't do it for snow cancellation worries. You've contracted with the airlines to get you from point A to point B. They'll get you there, even if your first flight is cancelled or delayed, regardless of what type of ticket you have.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:56 PM

I once had a flight scheduled right as a big noreaster was ready to hit NY. I got to the airport early, and as someone suggested in this thread, they were very accomodating and put me on the next open flight. I was planning to go to LA, but I took the flight to Chicago and from there was able to get a connecting flight to LA. People who were going to all different locations were taking the flight to chicago just so they could get out of the NY area and get a connecting flight.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:37 PM

A big thanks to everyone who replied. I feel much better now!