Using beach chairs on Kauai

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Mark

Using beach chairs on Kauai

At a recent stay at the Sheraton Kauai, we discovered that the only chairs or lounges allowed on the beach were the hugh double loungers which rented for about $25 a day or small low beach chairs, which rented for about $5 to $10 a day (can't remember). The lounges by the pool were free but had to be kept off the sand. As a result, there were more people on the grass than on the beach. We visited the Marriott, and it looked like everyone was on the grass instead of the beach there as well. How widespread is this restrictive beach policy? Do other hotels on Kauai have it? Has anyone encountered it on other islands?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:14 AM
xxx

pick up a couple of chairs at Walmart just outside of airport and you will have beach chairs where ever you go on the island

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:11 AM
julie

You mean someone was out there chasing people off the beach if they brought their own chairs? I've never seen that happen at any beach I've been to in hawaii. Use whatever chairs you want. Or are you saying the Sheraton wouldn't let you drag their lounges out into the sand? I'm confused!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Mark

The Sheraton would not allow guests to take the free vinyl-strapped lounge chairs on to the sand. Guests had to rent either expensive large wooden double loungers or small low-rise chairs. I don't know what would have happened if guests would have bought chairs and brought them, but why should they have to?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Suzie

I think that the resorts charging a fee for the beach use of their chairs is pretty universal in Hawaii. At a minumum you would have to reserve them but I saw that most had a charge. We bring our own. Just bungee cord a couple together and check them with your luggage or like others suggested buy them when you get there. We also took an ice chest which we filled with our snorkle gear and beach towels (hotel beach towels are too small). We duck taped it closed after the security inspection and checked it with our luggage. We always had cold drinks and beers when ever we wanted.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:26 AM
xxx

Thing is Mark if you rent a condo this stuff is normally provided so you don't have to lug coolers and beach chairs

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Suzie

We stayed in a really nice condo and yes there were chairs there for our use. There was no ice chest though. Didn't seem like "lugging" when we took our ice chest. JMHO.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:03 AM
xxx

Wow I guess we were lucky we had everything provided for us. Our condo was quite reasonable so I did not think it was special that we had coolers, beach chairs and umbrella. Suzie I leave from the east coast so it would be a hassle for me to consider a cooler with a change of planes. Not out of the question just a hassle.