US Hwy 31 drive in Michigan....

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Hwy 31 drive in Michigan....

Tell me more.I'd like see more of MI than what I've seen around Detroit.The Cherrie festivals,ect sound interesting.Would flying into Grand Rapids be best?
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:41 PM

Randyforgt,

It depends on where you're coming in from and what your plans are. If you're planning on taking a trip up US 31, the drive over from Detroit isn't that bad (versus paying for a flight and rental car).

Two of my favourite "get away and relax" places are on the 31 route - Saugatuck and Petoskey. Unfortunately, they're at opposite ends of the state. lol

If you give us an idea of what you're specifically interested in, chances are someone on the board has Been There - Done That.

~ Sheryl
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Sometimes you can get some good deals on flights into Flint or Lansing airports, then rent a car from there and go North. Petoskey area is very nice. Give us an idea of what you are looking for - night life, water sports, etc and we can probably give you more appropriate info. When are you planning on traveling?
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Probably in 4-5 weeks.I've promised Mom I'd take her somewhere.I think there must be cherry festivals up there this time of year,and I'd like to see the MI side of Lake Michigan-I've seen the IL side.Is the Gerald Ford/musuem & library worth a visit in Grand Rapids?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:51 PM
JVS

The Cherry Festival in Traverse City is usually middle to end of July. HWY 31 in the Lelanau Peninsula (Michigan's pinkie finger) is a beautiful drive and there are some great b&b's in that area. There isnt a lot in the way of museums, its more about natural beauty (like Lake Michigan beaches, sand dunes, cherry orchards etc) but Traverse City can offer good restaurants and the Cherry Fest. Traverse city does have an airport, but If you live in Michigan, I suggest driving driving.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:28 PM
cd

Randyforgt
We were in Traverse City a few weeks ago and the cherry trees on Old Mission Peninsula were a million fold and all in bloom. It was beautiful! The festival is the middle of July. You could do a google search for the exact dates. Old Mission Peninsula is a unique piece of land jutting 18 miles out into Lake Michigan north of Traverse City on M-37 It's full of cherry trees and vineyards. There are four wineries you can stop at. Your mom would probably like to also stop at he Old Mission Gereral Store where you can get a hand packed icecream and sit on the front porch to eat it. On another day you can go to Leland and visit a 100 yr old fishing town by the name of "Fishtown" We ate there at "The Cove" and had wonderful clam chowder! Take your camera, it is picture worthy! If you're up to it, have a Chubby Mary at The Cove, it's a Bloody Mary with a Chub in it!! (smoked fish) It's a hoot!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

This all sounds really good! I work for Delta and might choose to fly into GRR on Delta Connection then drive up to Traverse City! Well try now to put this trip together!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:40 AM

For that drive, GRR would be a much better starting point than DTW.

When you get up to Petoskey, be sure and get off 31 and take M-119 along the lake.

Keith
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:53 AM

I would consider flying into Grand Rapids, MI. On recent trips we have taken I've found the rates significantly less from GRR connecting through DTW than straing out of DTW..go figure?

If you are going to Traverse during the Cherry Festival I would definetly book your room now...hotels, BB & Cabins fill up fast.

If you are real adventursome continue on up north to "The Bridge" vist Mackinaw Island and definetly stay the night on the Island!

Scott
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:09 AM

See if you can get into the Park Place hotel in Traverse City. It's a great downtown location, a nice older hotel. We stayed there for New Years 2000. It's close to the downtown, where you can walk to the shops and restaurants, etc. Might be booked already, though. I would stay there a few nights and then head to the Leelanau Peninsula, if you're into B & B's there are some nice ones, or you could stay at the Homestead which is between Glen Arbor (cute town) and Empire (I think!) It's close to Lake Michigan and the Sleeping Bear Dunes scenic drive. Of course there's always renting a cabing on one of the many inland lakes. I think they book only a week at a time. Try http://www.leelanau.com/ for more info on lodging, restaurants, etc. If I can help w/ anything else, let me know!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:30 AM

If you would like something more than a regular hotel room in Traverse City, I recommend The Beach Condominiums. They are 30 one bedroom condos right on Grand Traverse Bay. We always stay there when we go to Traverse City. Condo has a living room with a sofa sleeper, balcony overlooking Grand Traverse Bay, large bathroom with jacuzzi tub, full kitchen and one bedroom with queen bed. Some of the units have washer/dryer and third floor units have vaulted ceilings. There is an outdoor pool and hot tub.

You will enjoy this area of Michigan very much. Also, Petoskey, Charlevoix, Harbor Springs are lovely.

Hope this is helpful!

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM

I live in Petoskey and would be more than happy to help you with accomodation or restaurant recommendations. Also, July is the height of the tourist season up here, so I would try to make some reservations now.