Search

Upper/Lower Peninsula Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper/Lower Peninsula Vacation

Hi There Folks:

I would like to take the family to Michigan this summer, but I've never been there and have no idea on where to go. I've heard great things about the UP, but I suspect that the LP has much to offer also. But which is the better vacation bet? We have two kids 10 and 6. We're looking for BEACH as the main atttraction and we do take day trips. We generally get a house/cottage/cabin rental. I've been very lucky with vrbo.com for rentals.... Soooo...Could I get some advice on TOWNS w/ beaches to look for a rental either in the UP or LP (please let me know why one is better than the other). I'm all about non-stop vacationing, you know, up at 7:00, beach, sights, dinner...then back at it the next day. I know I'm asking for alot, but I'm sure I'll hear from proud Michiganders! Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

Ken
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Will you be driving? If so, from where...it helps to know so if you'll be coming from the south, or in the middle (ferry's to/from ludington or muskegon, or from the north. Or, will you be flying? If so, what town are you flying into?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Oooops...Sorry...I'll be driving over from Pittsburgh, PA. Across OH, then north up 23 to 75.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:17 PM
sjk

Mackinac Island is a great family vacation. It's a 4-hour drive from Detroit, and so you're probably looking at a good 12 hours from places in PA. I also love the lake michigan shore (from South Haven north). Locally around the Detroit area, Frankenmuth is a bavarian village-like setting and a fun day trip. Again, if you don't mind the drive, the UP is beautiful. There are a few day trips from mackinac city. Whitefish point and the lake superior coast are also excellent.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM

You may want to consider the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore area. If you are looking for a beach be aware the water that far north will be cold.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SJK...We're travelers, so the drive is part of the fun. Last year we drove from Pittsburgh, up to Niagara Falls, then Toronto, Montreal, Stayed in Quebec...Then down thru Maine, to Cape Cod, then back home. One big 3000 mile loop!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Depending on how you will be coming into Michigan, I would catch 94,head west and start in St. Joseph Michigan - LOTS OF BEACH! You can work your way up from there along the coast. My favorite stops; S. Haven, Saugatuck, and Grand Haven. You can go further North, but I'm not sure how long you want to stay in each place. Have fun!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:18 AM

If you want to park yourself in one place for a week with tons to do, I would pick the Traverse City area or the Petoskey/Harbor Springs/Charelvoix area.

There is another recent thread on here about that area. I recommend the Petoskey area, but there has been some trouble with an old cement factory leaking into the bay. I'd check the other post for info.

From Petoskey, Mackinac Island is a good day trip. Spending the night on the island is an experience, but not a necessity. I'd say 90% of people just go for the day.

You can also get to Sault Ste. Marie (45 minutes north of the bridge) and see the boat locks. The kids would love that.

The world pretty much falls away in the UP, so if you are looking for nature, it is beautiful. If you are looking for activites, then no.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the water temperature. As a native Michi-gander, I can speak knowledgeably.
As a young teen, we went on a camping trip thru the UP. One July day at Munising my brother and I ran down the beach to swim in Lake Superior. Two feet into the water, running at full speed, I began my attempt to walk on water. It was so cold my ankles ached!!!

So if swimming is a necessity, that's something to consider. Otherwise, there's lots to see in the UP. Ski jump facilities in the far west, Fayette State Park to the south (a restored iron ore transit village), Keweenaw Peninsula, Soo locks, Palm Book St Pk with its deep clear spring.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I was thinking the same things, tomboy.

If time in the water is a big thing, either stay in the southern part of the state, or stay at smaller lakes (which get much warmer).

Though at ages 6 and 10, the colder water doesn't seem to be as big a problem.

Keith
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Homestead Resort has a lot to offer for a family vacation, and its located right on Lake Michigan. They also have a kids camp, which would give you some adult time too. Here is their website

thehomesteadresort.com
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Last year, my family took a 6 day whirlwind trip throughout Michigan that covered over 1,900 miles. We have great memories of Mackinac Island and Sleeping Bear Dunes. Like you, I don't like to sit around on vacation. While we saw many other cool spots (such as Whitefish Point, Upper & Lower Taq Falls, Frankenmuth, Ste Saint Marie), I recommend concentrating your time in Mackinac Island AND Traverse City/Petoskey area. The kids will have plenty to do in both areas.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM

The Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore is a must. And although Lake Michigan can be cold in the summer for some, there are inland lakes that are very close. My personal favorite is North Bar Lake. It's in between Empire and Glen Arbor. Glen Arbor also boasts two fantastic lakes that have many cottages (although many I would categorize as houses). Look in both Glen Arbor and on Glen Lake (Big and Little). Leland also offers the small town charm as well as Sutton's Bay. Grand Haven is a perennial tourists destination, but often is very crowded. If you do make it to the UP, Pictured Rocks and Taquanemonon falls are enjoyable.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Northern Michigan is perhaps one of the most beautiful travel destinations in the U.S. As a kid, I spent every summer of my life up there and I can say with absolute certainty that your kids will love it. You probably already know about Mackinac Island (rent the movie "Somewhere in Time"). Great for either a day trip or overnighter. Rent bikes and drive the entire island. Awesome towns not to miss in the upper LP are Traverse City (sleeping bear sand dunes), Charlevoix, Petosky and Harbor Springs.
Taquamenon Falls, and Pictured Rocks in the UP are also great. Lake Michigan is very cold even in the summer, so be prepared! There is a great public beach in Charlevoix. Charlevoix is also a good central place to base yourself. You can drive to all the other towns easily from there. Have a great time in my home state!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Hi, I am also from Michigan and all of the above comments I could not agree with more!! Our state, especially Northern Michigan is so beautiful with awesome scenery, abundant water and beautiful natural surroundings everywhere. My favorite towns here are Petoskey/Harbor Springs/Charlevoix area, Glen Arbor, Empire, the state park there on Lake Michigan IMO is the best in the state. I think it's the Betsie River there that dumps into Lake Michigan and that beach is just gourgeous. We just LOVE the Homestead Resort too. There are lots of houses for rent here on vrbo. Also, Traverse City is so wonderful as long as you are not there during Cherry Festival time with the millions of others, traffic gets real congested!! Enjoy your stay, our state is wonderful.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM

I am also from Michigan and agree that the water temperatures can be cold - but they can also be warm. You never know in Michigan!!! LOVE Traverse City Area - lots to do - great cottages. If you plan to do alot of driving sticking close to the shore and driving you can come across some really fun little towns. South Haven (lots of places to park along the beach - lots of area to walk along the shore!), Saugatuck (climb Mt. Baldy), Grand Haven (walk along the channel to the beach), Ludington, Manistee and various other places in between. Silver Lake is a great spot - you have to take the Dune Ride. Sleeping Bear Dunes is a must - your kids will love climbing the dune. In the UP, White Fish Point is interesting. The Falls are also great!! Michigan is beautiful in the summer!!! ENJOY!!