Upgrade advice

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Mar

Upgrade advice

Hi, sorry if I seem dense. But we got a low, low price to Sydney from LA. We'd like to upgrade and have several options. All require us to purchase a more expensive ticket because the current one ($1000 rt) is not upgradeable. The business class section for a midNovember flight is currently 27/75 seats reserved. Do we spend the $$ to have an upgradeable ticket (another $600) but then find we can't use miles or other methods to upgrade? Why can't they tell me today if they'll let us upgrade? What techniques do you use? Do I call a few days before so check the number of unreserved business class seats then gamble based on that? And then it's possible at the airport that enough high mileage types show up and get in the upgrade queue ahead of us, right? Thanks in advance.

Oct 14th, 2002, 10:02 AM
xxxd

You might have better luck on the airlines boards with this question. Also, Flyertalk.com has a very active board used by frequent flyers and airline employees.

Oct 14th, 2002, 10:05 AM
XXX

Mar
I don't mean to brush you off but I think you have your answer. There's a lot of other people who would do the same thing and are probably waiting too.

What I actually try to do is get my seats in rows 71 thru 74 both ways and then your seating is at least a little more comfortable.

Have a good trip. You'll enjoy yourself so much that you'll forget about the flight.

Don't forget to do the bridge walk and try to take in a performance at the Opera House - it's not all opera or symphony - there's 5 theatres there.

Oct 14th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Mark

First off, all advice is general since unique circumstances can affect any one flight differently, but....
in general flights to Oz are extremely popular targets for upgraders wanting to use miles. I do it often because on a per dollar basis you can't get more use out of FFM's than on a long overseas flight like LAX-SYD.
As such, I would never assume there'll be upgrade seats available on those flights.
Are you upgrading with FFM's?
You sould eableocall the airline and confirm your upgraded seat if so.
If you're simply hoping to be able to walk up and get an upgrade, my advice is fuhgeddaboutit unless you're flying on days when you know for a fact that the flight is <50% full or something.
Upgrades for transpacific flights make them much, much more tolerable, and everyone who flies knows this!

Oct 14th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Mar

thanks all, we have both my own miles to use for the upgrade and a good friend (Premier Exec 1K flyer)has also provided something called "Confirmed Upgrade Systemwide" certificates.