Your Preferred Airline/Preferred Airplane Type for International

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying MIA -> AMS and BRU -> MIA in early September. Airfares for several different companies are hovering close to one another. For example, KLM is around 1K, Delta is 1K, United around $1100 and the same with American.

I have mileage programs with United and American so I'm leaning towards those...and schedule makes a difference as well (I'd rather have a layover in a large US city - more chances to get out if something goes wrong).

Size of seats also matters. DH is a big guy, and we book one seat for him and we put up the arm and let him be comfortable using some of my seat (note: He can comfortably fit in one seat, but he's more comfortable with a little more room....as we all are). This will be his first long flight (previously his longest flight was 4 hours).

So, I'm debating between those four companies. Some of them are using Airbuses and others 777s.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM

As far as seats are concerned there is not much of a difference between any of the above mentioned airlines. Economy seats are just the, economy seats.

I don't know about Delta but I'm assuming that all three domestics will charge for alcohol. Not sure about KLM.

Not sure about Delta or United but I do know AA does not fly to AMS, so it's probably a connection in London to a BA flight. AA does BRU to US.

Don't know what to tell you but if this is just a one yearly trip chose the one that you feel most comfy with or the one that gives you the most benefits. It's really not that much of a difference otherwise.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks AA. I didn't even think to look at whether the second leg of the AA flight was a different airline!

Being in MIA I don't get anything direct, but am up in the air about whether to have my layover be in Europe or in the US. Not sure that there is an advantage either way.

I'm inclined to go with a US layover since we'll still be awake (planning for an afternoon/early evening departure) and then have the long 8-9 hour flight be later when we'll actually be tired.

I wasn't sure whether one type of plane might have slightly wider economy seats or a better recline angle.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM

UA flies to both AMS and BRU from Dulles (IAD) and you can buy up to E+. The seats and service are the same, but you get 4 to 5 extra inches of legroom, which makes a big difference.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Go United and spend the extra money for economy plus seating. The extra leg room makes a world of difference and is well worth it.

Since you have choice of seating and if you get your tickets early enough you may luck out and get in the first row of E+ which usually has a bulkhead in front of it. That offers even more leg room.

We declined an offer for E+ at checkin on a IAD-ZRH flight and regretted it. We got E+ for the return flight and that is the seating we chose for the next three trips.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Eric & Ronkala!

I'm flying out 9/1.

I was looking at UA flights last night and it didn't look like a lot of seats were available. The Delta flights were completely empty and had exit rows and bulkheads available.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM

twiggers
I am pretty sure that if you are not an 'elite' with UA, you will not be shown any availability in E+ when you look for seats. There are seats available, I'm sure, but they do not show up if you are searching as a 'general member' of their FF program. As a 1K, I can see (and select) any available seat, including exit rows and E+.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 04:32 AM

I wanted to go to Egypt from Sydney on Singapore Airlines Business class, however, it turned in to a codeshare with Egypt Air, and we had to transfer to economy for the last leg legs????? KLM had the route that we wanted, however after investigating they didn't seem like a comfortable and up to date airline. I chose another airline as I was not happy. I think they were rated as a 3 star airline on skytrax?
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Simpson is correct. If not an "elite" the E+ seating will not be available until you pay the additional money. It is good for two people and is good for a year. We purchased it May 2009 for ABQ and were able to sit in E+ this year to SFO.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Simpson: I lost my Premier status (moved to an AA hub city) on UA, so I only see about 8 seats on that flight, and none of them are any good I suppose I could call and inquire on what E+ seats are available and the associated cost.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Ack.....E+ is an additional $97 per seat and none available on the way back.

I've heard bad things about Delta, but I'm leaning towards them since they have good schedules and the price is right.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Delta is fine, but there are quirks to the various plane types that are worth noting.

To AMS, you will likely have an option of connecting in Atlanta, Memphis, Detroit, or JFK. For all but JFK, the overwater flight will be on an Airbus A330. This is a decently comfortable plane. Every seat has AVOD (Audio/Video On Demand) and the front half of coach has power ports. Legroom is 32", which is pretty normal. If traveling as a couple, the 2-4-2 layout is nice, if you grab one of the pairs of seats. It is doubtful that you will get the exit rows without elite status, but these are among the best coach seats on any carrier crossing the Atlantic.

Out of JFK, you will likely be on a KLM plane. I would avoid JFK, in general, though.

For the return, your options are either going through JFK or Atlanta, or doing a double-connection via AMS. The flights to both JFK and Atlanta use the 767-300ER. The big downside to this plane is that their is no in-seat video, only overhead monitors. If you can get past this (portable DVD player, laptop, iPad, whatever), then it is a comfortable plane. It is a 2-3-2 layout, which is great and the lack of AVOD means no equipment boxes impeding your legroom. I like this plane, but I don't really care about AVOD.

As for the soft aspects... I find DL's service to be very good to excellent. The food is coach food, so bring a sandwich. Beer and wine are free throughout the flight, but hard alcohol is $7.

Of the airports, Detroit is the nicest of the bunch. Memphis is a dump, but small and has good BBQ. Atlanta has its critics, but I think it decent, given it is the busiest airport in the world. Lines can be a bit long at customs and immigration, so be forewarned. JFK is not great - it is a little haggard, lines can be long, and the connections between T2/3 and T4 (where the AMS flights leave from) are not ideal.

FWIW, I'm writing this from a Delta flight from JFK to SFO. That my upgrade cleared and I'm in the big seats probably has me feeling generous toward Delta today, so keep that in mind when assessing the validity of my comments.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Travel: Thank you so much for all of the information! That really does help My only thought about flying into somewhere like ATL or JFK is that I would have more options to get out if the flight was delayed/canceled. But Detroit is looking like the best connection.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:16 AM

If connections are an issue (how much time to calculate between dom/intl legs when changing), I could throw in a quirky option:
Fly nonstop MIA-Düsseldorf/Germany with Air Berlin; and take Highspeed train from there to AMS (2:15hr). The train ticket costs €50 unrestricted (so you take whatever train you like), or starting at €19 restricted.
You'd leave MIA 8pm, arrive DUS 11am next day, depart Düsseldorf train station 1pm, arrive Amsterdam Central station 3pm.
If problems arise with delays, you just hop on any next train (if you have an unrestricted ticket).
Not sure on cabin comfort, though. Never used them long distance.