Up country as a base for Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2024, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on visiting Maui next year about this time. We had to cancel once due to COVID and canceled a second time because of the wildfires. We are in our mid-sixties and prefer to stay in places that are off the beaten track if we can. Although I know in the case of Maui, the track is pretty beaten. Anyway, we are trying to decide between two accommodations that are about 40 minutes away from each other. Not sure if it’s worth possibly staying at both places. The Iao Valley Inn is in/near Wailuku. The North Country inn is near Makawao. I have to do more research on these towns but I was just wondering if anyone has either stayed at either of these places and or had thoughts on one location vs another. And would we get appreciable differences if we stayed in both? PS we will likely be spending a week in Maui and a week in Kauai. We like walking on a beach, but also love hiking and exploring different areas.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I’m trying to move this thread to the correct forum, but I don’t seem to be having much luck with that.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chloelizabeth
I’m trying to move this thread to the correct forum, but I don’t seem to be having much luck with that.

Welcome to Fodors. Not in answer to your main questions -- but not to worry, your thread is on the 'correct' forum. There is just one United States Forum. You can tag for a specific state(s) when first starting the topic, but all threads are lumped together on the same general US board. See the little orange triangle? If you want the moderators to add a Hawaii tag to your thread, you can click that and when the text box appears, explain that you left off the tag.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:16 AM

I now see you started another/duplicate thread. When you 'triangle' this one you can also ask them to delete the duplicate.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

How do I delete the duplicate?

Is there a way to delete the duplicate?
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by chloelizabeth
Is there a way to delete the duplicate?
As I explained above -- use the orange triangle. Tell them something like "Please add a Hawaii tag to my tread. I also started a duplicate topic - please delete it."
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
As I explained above -- use the orange triangle. Tell them something like "Please add a Hawaii tag to my tread. I also started a duplicate topic - please delete it."
Thanks I have done so
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 01:15 PM
Forum Moderator

Hawaii tag added
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 10:05 AM

I haven't stayed at either but both are rather obscure choices for a Maui vacation. Makawao is a pleasant little town at elevation (1600 ft). Your other choice is near Kahalui which is close to the airport. It is dry and wind-swept. Of the two Makawao would be better. Neither is close to good beaches. For off the beaten path I think Hana would be much better. It's a 2-3 hour drive from the airport on a very twisty road. The road itself is heavily trafficked by tourists going to the town, but few people stay there.

But I would say if you visit Maui then why not do what Maui is best for - beaches and weather? That would be saying in South Maui or West Maui. On Kauai you can stay somewhere up north like the Hanalei Colony Resort and get a feeling of remoteness + beaches + hiking.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 12:19 PM

Hi Chloe, maybe consider reaching out to Inakauaidavidababy here? She and her husband have substantial experience there, including upcountry.
Pretty sure that she is finally out of prison and would be receptive to say, a PM from folks seeking guidance.
If memory serves suze knows that area too.
cheers
I am done. the end
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 02:40 PM

Hi Chloe, Z tends to exaggerate a bit. I have had many stays on
Maui including some of the high rollers. We no longer need to be on the ocean or at resorts and have found our sweet spot in Kula. The sweeping views the country feel the cooler air all work for us, and like Makawao just a roll down the hill to Costco and Baldwin beach. unfortunately, our lodging isn't available and I am not familiar with the properties you are looking at. We are planning a visit next summer and will stay a few nights at Napili Kai Beach Resort to get some hopefully easy beach access for me. It really is a very special property founded by a bunch of Canadians. As far as Wailuka, I have only drive by experience to a few great hole in the wall restaurants. For now we are sticking with Napili, Kula and a night or two in Hana which we adore and have had numerous stays. But if Hana is chosen provision up before heading up.