Maui Hyatt, Maui Westin, or the Maui Marriott

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Julie

Maui Hyatt, Maui Westin, or the Maui Marriott

Hello...need help ASAP! Need to decide today on what hotel to stay at in Maui for Nov. 27th-Dec. 4th. I have read the reviews and can not decide. Please help!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:07 AM
jeff

Hyatt is the nicest of the 3. I stayed at the Marriott in March but was statying free on Marriott point. Actually got a ocean view suite. All three are nice properties and have great pool areas. Everything appeared to be a little nicer at the Hyatt. Although, I am guessing the Hyatt is more expensive. I wish I had your problem right now.

You will enjoy any of these properties

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Gail

I will disagree with Jeff.
I don't put the Westin in the same category as the Marriott and Hyatt at this point in time.
It's in need of work and has been overcrowded all year due to promotions.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:00 AM
jill

Hyatt is the best. just the beach is not great. If you want great beach (but still on the strip where the Hyatt is) - the Sheraton fronts the best part of the beach.

If it was me - I'd pcik the Hyatt of the three you mentioned

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Cat

I can not offer a qualified opionion, but I can say that Jill is not alone in her opinion. I have read the same comments on other threads on this site before.

I don't know if they are still on this site, but you might want to try doing a search for the word "Maui". These properties have been discussed quite a bit in the past.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:39 AM
wtroberts

Just stayed at the Hyatt in October. It is wonderful. Can't speak of the other as I've never stayed at them. I would highly recommend the Hyatt however. When we were there, part of the pool was closed for construction, but there was still plenty of pool to use. It was not a problem for us. Our room was wonderful. The beds were so comfortable, I felt as though I was sleeping at home! I do agree that the beach is not that great but it was not terrible. But this too was not a problem for us. It is also a nice stroll down to Whalers Village from the Hyatt. Hope this helps and that you enjoy your vacation as much as we did.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:01 PM
C

Julie! If considering Wailea, please review my note below and good luck.

We had chosen Grand Wailea because of its alleged "superiority" to the other Maui resorts. It was a HUGE disappointment in every way.

Went here for our honeymoon. The rooms were TIRED. The mattress felt like it was made of concrete.

On our second night I got food poisoning at one of their "premier" restaurants. There was no interest in the resort staff to either provide or suggest any possibilities for medical attention nor to take my claim seriously. Management and staff demonstrated ZERO interest in my well being or providing any compensation for incovenience after spending 3 days ill and a day in the hospital on I.V. The hotel begrudgingly allowed us a late check out even in the context of the events above. As a result we had to cancel almost all of our planned activities (Haleakala, Hana, Snorkeling etc.) Management would not return our phone calls. On 2 occaisions I observed hotel staff using the bathroom without washing their hands. YUCK!

The service was generally terrible. We had to beg to get your room cleaned and the majority of the staff with the exception of the valet was RUDE and extremely un-customer focused.

There was an error in our bill and an attempt to charge us for an additional day that we did not stay.

The grounds and the quality of the beach is lovely, but there is a whole lot you must overlook...and for $450/night it is certainly NOT worth it.

For such a "prestigious" resort, Grand Wailea had NUMEROUS opportunities to make good on this HORRIBLE experience. Instead they offered to simply refund the cost of the meal and that they would consider a inconvenience refund of $100. Thanks for nothing.

In closing G. Wailea managed to RUIN what should have been one of the most special and meaningful experiences of our lives without little concern. Please be sure to tell you friends!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Sharon

We stayed at the Westin Maui Aug 2001. Rooms were nicely decorated but small. The exterior is a bit outdated, but well maintained. We has our 2 children,11 and 8 with us. The pool area is awesome. I walked past the Marriott and Hyatt, and the Hyatt seems the prettiest of them. However, the Westin seems to have more property with their pool area,thus not having an overcrowded look. The Hyatt seemed to have that overcrowded look when I strolled by.Our room had a mountain view which we loved especially in the morning. I still dream about that. Hotel dining not worth it. Hula Grill next door is great. TAKE ME WITH YOU! Hope this helps.