Search

Close to Mesa, AZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2024, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Close to Mesa, AZ

My family of 4, two adults, 9 and 12 year old, are headed to Mesa to see family mid-February. My family has never been, so I'd like to find a vacation rental in a scenic, fun area, but we need to stay within an hour of the east side of Mesa. Because we only have several days, I'm hoping to stay in an area closest to mountains, hiking, scenery, etc. I'm looking at the Apache junction area, but wonder if farther north or south would be better. Appreciate any help!!
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on where you are coming from, be aware that there is an airport in Mesa that is somewhat smaller than PHX. I/we have flown there on Allegiant but there are other airlines that come in there too. Since we came in after hours, we got a taxi to a hotel in Mesa and then rented a car in the morning locally instead of going back to the airport.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 09:37 AM

You might want to explore the area along the Salt River (yes, it should have water) off N Bush Highway NE of Mesa.Take I-202 to Power Road. Power Road turns into N Bush Highway. Once past Granite Reef Recreational Area there are a number of places to explore. You'll see cacti like saguaros, ocotillo, prickly-pear, and jumping cholla (they don't actually jump) along with other desert vegetation. staying on the road takes you to Saguaro Lake. Just north of the Lake is a turnoff to Butcher Jones Recreational Area that you might like.

Continuing on the road takes you to HW87 that you can take to get back to Mesa making a nice loop drive.

You might want to do further research on this area using Google.

Last edited by mdstump; Jan 25th, 2024 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 06:47 AM

Hi Again

Let me add there is the Commemorative Air Force Airbase Arizona Museum in Mesa.
2017 N. Green field Rd.
Mesa, AZ 85215
NE corner of Greenfield and McKellips at Falcon Field

Note I haven't been there but have driven by it on occasion.