Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Stay in London and use it as a base or go to another part of England and use that as a base?

Search

What would you do? Stay in London and use it as a base or go to another part of England and use that as a base?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm leaving for London next Wednesday (May 14) and will return on Monday, May 19. I booked this morning as a spontaneous birthday gift to myself. Now, the fun begins.

I've been to London back in 2000 so I've visited some of the more tourist popular places. My question to all is: would you use London as a base and take day trips or would you choose a central location in the area you're keen to visit and do all that you can do using that as a base? Also, I will not rent a car for this short trip - for one thing, I don't think I'm brave enough to drive in England quite yet.

I realize that the costs for the various train trips may not make this economical at all. I need to do more research on this matter.

As far as another area to visit? I've been reading a bit and think Ludlow sounds quite nice. I think I'm in need of the English countryside. Yes, I realize that "English countryside" is a general term, but I don't know how else to describe it.

Any thoughts/comments/advice will be most helpful.

Thanks!
TR
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM

If it were my holiday, it would be London with maybe a day trip or at the most, two. That's exactly what I had scheduled for April - a Wednesday to Monday, but we had to cancel at the last minute due to general craziness of life. I cannot get enough of London - there's always something else on my "to do" list, not to mention revisiting old favorites. Anyway, that's my vote for 4 days "on the ground".
Old May 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've stayed in London many times - and not set foot in the place on many other UK trips.

So there is no right/wrong answer.

Which airport are you flying in/out of? That could make a difference on a good countryside base. For instance - if you are using LGW, your ar on the doorstep of Ken/East Sussex and the south coast. LOTS of castles, gardens, villages, seaside resorts, etc.

Or if your are flying into LHR - then you are very convenient to Oxford, Bath, etc.

If you are not burning to see London - head out to the countryside - accommodations will cost much less than central London rates.

But if you want to see more of London - there are bound to be hundreds of sites in the city you haven't seen yet. There are ways to economize in London - like using Priceline for your hotel.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

janisj: I'm flying into LHR.

I've decided to stay in London and take day trips to Oxford and other areas. Since this trip is really short, I didn't want to hop around too much. I do want to relax!

Thanks,
TR
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:33 AM

If you're taking daytrips to places like Oxford you're not going to get much exposure to this English countryside you say you're in need of, except for a few minutes' view through the train window between Slough and Oxford's southern bypass. If you avert your eyes from the horrors of Reading and Didcot.

And that would be a pity, because right now the English countryside's looking, sounding and smelling its spectacular best.

If you really want to get in there with the calves, buttercup-strewn meadows and church bells, I'd suggest you take at least a day (or the whole weekend) off from yet another medieval town. Get a copy of the Time Out Book of Country Walks with its 52 suggestions for walks through real countryside that start from a railway station just a few minutes from rural paths. Most without any trudging through those endless, dispiriting, suburbs that separate even the most charming historic city centre from its surrounding greenery.
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:26 AM

If you want a bit of countryside, take the train to Oxford and catch a Salters Steamers cruise to Abingdon (their new season starts the 17th of May, so you just make it).
http://www.salterssteamers.co.uk/oxab.htm

Or you could train up to Marlow (Paddington to Maidenhead and change for the local train to Marlow), stroll around this pretty small town, have lunch at one of its nice restaurants with their terrific lunch specials) and do a bit of Thames path or country walking (avoiding any herds of ultra protective mama cows with their baby calves...)
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks flanneruk and BTilke for the suggestions about the walks and other suggestions for places to explore.

I'm getting more and more excited and a bit nervous because I haven't found a place to stay quite yet. I've inquired at the Cherry Court Inn in London, but haven't heard back yet.

TR

Old May 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Canterbury could be a lovely daytrip for you. The town is charming, the cathedral beautiful. I did this years ago on a bus tour, but I'm sure it's just as easy to take a bus or train on your own, and then you won't be rushed.
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Your trip is fairly short, so I'd stay in London and add one or two day trips.

You don't need to go very far to get a feel of the countryside. For example, go to Richmond-upon-Thames, then walk alongside the Thames to Ham House (a National Trust property). For info:

http://tinyurl.com/34fwtf

Or take a daytrip to Windsor and walk through Windsor Great Park and across the Thames to the village of Eton.

Both of these (Windsor and Richmond) are within 30-40 minutes or so by train from the center of London.

Enjoy!

Dave

Old May 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM

If me, I would purchase a rail pass and the day of arrival head up to York, a 2 hour ride. Make that your base. From there you can bus or train to Whitby for a nice day trip. Also, from York it is only another 2 hours up to Edinburgh.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I agree with a day trip to Windsor Castle. Nice little town to stroll around and see the castle. It's close.
Also you can take the train directly to Bath. It's about 2 hr.(if I remember right). I really liked this town too. Nice shopping, restaurants and sights.