Unique Savannah Dining

Search

Unique Savannah Dining

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unique Savannah Dining

Will be in Savannah for 3 nights in August. Have read about Paula Dean's place and the Olde Pink House, both of which we would like to try. However, anyone have good locals true-southern food places that might not be as well known... but still good local southern fare? Not Mrs Wilkes, we won't be there anytime its open (M-F, 11-2).

Thanks again...

Jim
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM

You say unique. I'm thinking of the place outside of town which has the private "speakeasy" like booths with call buttons for the servers -- Harris?
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Neo, are you thinking about Carey Hilliard's?
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM

No, sorry. Johnny Harris?
http://www.johnnyharris.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM

when we were in Savannah we did not eat at The Lady and Sons (Paula Deens place). I've heard it's not worth it and the reservations are made the day you want to go by lining up at certain times at a hostess stand outside. We had better things to do than wait in that line! We enjoyed eating at "The Pirate House" very much. Very historic building, delicious food and great atmosphere. The Crab Shack in Tybee Island is fun. The Low Country Boil ( shrimp, crab, poatoes,sausage and corn, cooked with seasoning and piled up on a platter) is good, messy food. It's just a fun, kind of kooky place out on the waterfront.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM

You don't really have to wait at Lady & Sons. See the website and check around for "insider tips". We loved her food (some of the best we've ever enjoyed), and we did not do the buffet.

In Savannah, we look for outstanding seafood and BBQ. Savannah is rather small, so I can't think of any "less well known" places that I'd recommend.

Have a look on Chowhound, too.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:17 AM
cd

We ate at Uncle Bubba's,Paula Dean's brother's restaurant, and really enjoyed the atmosphere and food. We ate outside on the patio which overlooks the marsh. It might be too hot in August to eat outside but we found the food to be very good. The seafood gumbo was the best I've ever had.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM
cd

meant to include this. http://www.unclebubbas.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Yes, starrs, Johnny Harris. It's been years, but was a fun place and I think the food was good too -- steaks or BarBQ maybe?
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Yep. I like both of those (CH and JH) for "local".

I'm there at least quarterly and eat at these three places on a regular basis -

The Pink House - virtually every trip, whether its "just dinner" or entertaining customers. Garibaldi's is my backup for Pink House if I can't get a reservation. I LOVE the Pink House.

Paula Deen's Lady and Sons - if it's too crowded for my timing I usually order a sandwich off the menu for lunch to go. All are good, but this is my favorite -
Asparagus Sandwich $9.99
A New York Times favorite! Topped with jack cheese, purple onion and thousand island dressing on grilled pumpernickel.

SoHo - http://www.sohosouthcafe.com/
I love this place. The food. The space. The art. The location (far enough away from the river to be able to grab street parking fairly easily).
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:33 AM

I also like the Gryphon Tea Room - and the SCAD store across the street
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Check out the Wassaw Sound Seafood Restaurant, if you have a car. It is about 4 miles from the historic district & is a "locals" place.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

As always the Fodorites never let me down!! Thanks so much for all of your insight. I cannot wait to get down there!!

J
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Jim, I'd recommend Vic's on the River and ask for river window seating. If you like a niche for tea, a quiet little corner is right downtown at the Savannah Tea Room on Broughton Street. You said nights. Great places at night are the Olde Pink House (try the Planters' Tavern downstairs if you want less formality) with great southern food, the darling Firefly for a village-eatery feel (for breakfast, lunch or dinner), and Sapphire Grill (a James Beard nominee). For light fare, stop in at Harris Baking Co., on Liberty at Drayton ... fresh everything. A don't miss is their Regency Salad, made famous by the grandfather Harris in a restaurant that has been repurposed to a SCAD dormitory. If you want to eat out where the locals eat without embellishments, go to Bona Bella Marina (out Laroche Avenue) or Loco's (out towards Tybee Island). Loco's serves seafood right off the docked shrimp boats. A fresh new lunch spot off the beaten path is Cafe on 37th (37th Street at Abercorn) with a chef formerly with Georges of Tybee. Cha Bella (East Broad Street) is getting fresh raves from friends. A don't miss treat is Leopold's for nostalgic old-Savannah ice cream and even a fresh shrimp salad sandwich or malt shake (Broughton Street).