UK finding work in NY

Search

UK finding work in NY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK finding work in NY

My friend is looking to move to NY and find work as a barman/waiter in Manhattan. what are all the 'ins & outs' of finding work, tax,accommodation,what is 'street' news
Average costs/wages?,tips etc.Any help would be grateful. TA
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM

First, he is going to need work visa
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Tanx does he apply in UK or NY and where/how etc? TA
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Getting a work visa is extremely difficult - you need to demonstrate that you have skills that cannot be filled by citizen job seekers. To get one as a waiter/barman is close to impossible.

The only real choice is to come on a vacation visa and stay ilegally (subject to deportation). Some restaurants/bars may hire illegals - often as dishwashers - but it is much easier to get a job "off the books" either in day construction or as an au pair (thats what UK/Irish illegals in NY usually do).

Taxes are not paid by employers - nor benefits provided. You get cash under the table - minimal. In the US bartenderes and wait staff work for practically nothing (less than minimum wage - are often partly "paid" via free meals - and basically have to live off tips. So your friend better be very charming.

A friend of mine employed a series of Scots or Irish au pairs when her kids were small - and essentially you get room, board and a modest allowance. And deportation can always be a problem - the INS is not actively out looking for you - but you're always subject to snitches - one was deported when she was turned in by a boyfirend with whom she had a dispute.

A lot of kids do this for a summer or a year - it's very difficult to do for longer than this unless the government has one of those amnesties for illegals and you come in, confess and ask for legal immigant status.

The lsaat option is to come in on a studen visa. I think this specifically precludes working - and naturally - you have to be admitted to a university - that will provide application info.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:18 PM
SAB

How to get a US work permit may require legal advice. Best bet is to check with US Immigration website: Here's a place to start.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/ead.htm
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Visas are handled by the State Depertment, not USCIS. Here's their website: http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/

I highly recommend that your friend NOT work in the US without USCIS authorization. If your friend did this, and later decided to apply for permanent residency, their unlawful employment could cause problems. Also, they can be reported to the USCIS and deported for violating their visitor visa status. Also, you cannot work on a student visa. If caught, you will be kicked out of the university.

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Ask your friend how easy it is for a non EU citizen to get work in the UK. If he knows the answer, tell him he knows the answer here too.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM

http://www.workpermit.com/us/employee.htm

It's not uncommon to find waiters/waitresses and bartenders who are not working legally, but I don't think that's a good idea. I don't know the ins and outs of that and housing here is very expensive.

There is an H2-B visa program for temporary work--usually those who have this visa do seasonal work in resorts--ski resorts in the winter or beach resorts in the summer. You would need to find an employer to sponsor you though.