HELP! UK Work Permit for Canadian

Mar 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

HELP! UK Work Permit for Canadian

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me out - maybe a Canadian living in the UK:

I am a Canadian citizen and my company is transferring me to Aberdeen, Scotland for six months. They are taking care of the work permit so that is not really my concern. My problem revolves around what I read on this website: http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/wor..._guidance.html

According to that website, even if I have a work permit, if I leave the UK I may not be guaranteed re-entry unless I have received prior entry clearance (which would be obtainined in the form of a visa).

Now I have researched this on several websites and contacted several UK government agencies, and am getting mixed responses: Some say that as a Canadian citizen going for only six months I do not need a visa (which is what I thought initially). Others say I should get a visa just incase and need to fly to Ottawa in order to apply for one in person.

Have any Canadians living in the UK ever experienced this? I would like to travel around Europe a bit while I am living and working in Scotland but also want to make sure that I will not have a problem with re-entry. Specifically, is there anyone from Canada working in the UK who does NOT have a visa and has left the UK and re-entered without a problem?

Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM

You need a visa unless you hold a work permit valid for 6 months or less or are a British National (Overseas), a British overseas territories citizen, a British Overseas citizen, a British protected person or a person who under the British Nationality Act 1981 is a British subject.

Since your work permit is for 6 months, you have normal entry requirements for Canadians; ie no visa/entry cleanace needed.

To back this up, go to the UK Visas web site and follow the questionnaire links for "Do I need a visa"

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1006977149953

I usually charge for this, but for you, a fellow Fodorite, and someone coming to me home town, it's on the house!!

Do email me (if you want) and fill me in on the details. Maybe I can buy you a drink?
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sheila!

So you are saying that with my work permit and a passport, I should have no trouble re-entering the country?

The general concensus for all the responses I have received from government agencies is that I do not need a visa but it might be good to have just incase.I wouldn't want to tempt fate by not getting one if I thought I might actually require it! Being barred from re-entry into the UK because of my own stupidity would NOT look good for my career

Do you live in Aberdeen?
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Erin

You do NOT need a visa. YOu are Candaian. You can come and visit here for up to 6 months without a visa. You go out, you break the 6 months. You still do not need a visa to re-enter.

If you do it repeatedly, you may have to explain. They may think you're "at it". But you do NOT need a visa.

I live just outstide Aberdeen and work in the city.

You?
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sheila, thanks for clearing that up for me!

I don't know where I'll be living yet in Aberdeen but I will be working in Portlethen (not sure if that is part of Aberdeen or not!)
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM

It's on the southern outskirts- technically in the County, but very commutable. If you stay in the city you're going against the traffic, so a lot better than the alternative.

Are you going to make me GUESS who it is you're coming to?
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure I understand - "who I'm coming to". Do you mean, what company do I work for? If yes, the answer is National Oilwell Varco. If no, what do you mean?
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM

That's what I meant. Sorry to be obtuse.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:05 PM

Erin,

I was down at Badentoy to see a client this morning and took a turn past.

Huge offices, but right on the edge so nice country views.

Do let me know if I can help at all.

Apr 12th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Sheila,

I got my work permit for Scotland today! (Well, its currently in Scotland, but it should be here in Canada by next week). So back to all the drama: In the email to tell me that my work permit had arrived, my mew boss wrote:

"You will need to make an appointment with your nearest British Embassy/Consulate and take the permit documentation along with you in order to gain your entry clearance to the UK. You will then be able to travel here and enter the UK on a Work Permit basis"

...so I guess after all that, I DO for some reason need the visa! Guess that means I have to travel across Canada to apply for it in person before I can even book my flight to Scotland.

I hope to see Aberdeen sometime soon! Thanks for all your help!

Apr 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Well done. (I still don't think you need a visa

drop me an email if I may be of any help in any way. At least let me buy you a drink sometime
Apr 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I have this feeling that I'll go through all of this and THEN find out that I didn't need it in the first place! But I suppose its better to be safe than sorry! After further research I found out that I actually DON'T need to travel across the country to get entry clearance. Instead it seems that I need to send away for it and it'll take about 10-15 days. Grrrr....by the time everything is in place I won't be in Aberdeen until early May! (and on my visa application form it asks me what my date of arrival in the UK is...good question! Sorta dependant on when said visa application is approved!)

I saw on another forum that you are experiencing similar beaurocratic "fun" except yours is trying to get into North America...gotta love the way all these rules are written so that no one can clearly understand their meanings!
Apr 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM

hi, erin,

sorry I can't do any better than sheila in answering your questions about needing/not needing a visa, but the answer to your last point about the way these rules are written is obvious - the writers are all married to immigration lawywers!

regards, ann
May 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sheila,

Well, I'm here in Aberdeen (since last Friday), so no problems getting through immigration! I must say, I absolutely LOVE it here! (Though I'm finding driving a bit of a challenge hahaha). My apartment is in a really great location (just off Union Street) so I can't complain about that either! But do you have any idea where are good places to meet people? Sadly, most of the people at my office are a bit older and have families (I'm only 24) so I'm looking to branch out a bit. Also, have you been to a lot of the castles in the area? I went to Dunnottar yesterday and I'm looking for suggestions of other really good ones to visit. Thanks!
May 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM

While you are waiting for Sheila's info ('fraid I know nothing about the young people's/club scene in Aberdeen)

But I do know about some castles in the area. Be 100% sure to go to Crathes - the castle is interesting - a well preserved tower house - but the gardens are AMAZING! One of the best gardens in the whole country. Also Craigievar - smaller and one of the best anywhere. Also Castle Fraser is very good. A bit farther away is Huntly - a REALLY interesting ruin.

up the coast above Aberdeen are the ruins of Slains Castle and just beyond there is Cruden Bay and the Bullers of Buchan. The Bullers of Buchan is a cauldron carved out of the cliff where the waves come splashing up in the center and teh walls are covered w/ sea bird nests. Just an awesome sight.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...tle/index.html

http://www.bullersofbuchan.me.uk/

Then there is Haddo House, and Fyvie Castle.

And down SW of Dunnottar is Edzell. A small ruined castle out in teh countryside w/ an attached formal 18th century garden

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...tle/index.html
May 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM

Erin

send me an email. If you catch this this evening (ie in the next half hour or so) I'll get it tonight, and I'll buy you a drink and show you some stuff.

I work on Union Street, so it shouldn't be too hard to meet up.

I'm afraid I'm old, but I do KNOW some young people