Search

U. S. Route 202

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U. S. Route 202

Hello all, I am getting frustrated trying to get a mapping program to get some idea of distance and time.

Has anyone ever driven a lot of the length of route 202? It runs from Wilmington DE to Bangor ME.

I am going to a location in PA on 202 from a location in NH on 202 and I have some extra time for the trip. Was curious how much longer it might take going through MA, CT, NY, NJ and down PA on 202 vs the traditional routes.

If anyone has an idea or could point me to a resource to help plan it, it would be appreciated.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 03:14 PM

Probably much longer than taking the interstate. Wikipedia gives more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_202
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 07:32 PM
J62

When I map it on google maps (dragging the route onto 202) I come up with ~15 hours. That's in the middle of the night, mind you....
Daytime traffic will add substantial time - maybe 1 to 2 or more hours I'd guess...
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 04:08 PM

If you put in Litchfield, CT to Bangor ME ongooglrmaps and under options put avoid highways and tolls it takes you that stretch on 202 all the way for 8 hours39 minutes. Try working back for towns closer to Litchfield that are on the other side o Litchfield till you get to Wilmington.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 08:10 PM
J62

The trick or limit with google maps is that it only lets you drag the route to a new road about 10 times.... so I had to break Wilmington to Bangor down into 3 sections to get the # above.
That stretch from CT to Maine it doesn't take much redirecting, but From DE, PA, NJ, NY, and CT google wants to put you on other roads.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 07:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
By my research from Concord NH to Norristown PA (zoo) the distance is 380 miles in 8 hours 6 minutes using US 202 except for the parts where US 202 is following the Interstates. Midway point in time is Brewster NY.
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 07:36 AM

This makes me smile as our own stretch of Rt 202 here in Morris County NJ is a two-lane road with lots of downtowns, traffic lights, to slow you down, it's .8 miles from our home at our local train station. Let's put it this way: If I must go more than 5 miles north or south, I jump on Rt. 287. Don't torture yourself.
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies all. They have helped me to figure out how long my particular trip might take. I generally hate NYC and the turnpike and often go out of my way like going through the Catskills in PA up to like Schenectady and then home by going through VT, avoiding NJ, NYC, CT, and MA altogether.

I might try this 202 route and see how it goes just as a curiosity. It's probably the route my grandparents took before the interstate system. I can always bail part way through.

My guess is it will turn a 6 hour drive into an 8.5 hour drive.

Still, you'd think this would be easier to plan with Google maps or Waze or something.
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 10:55 AM

If your estimate of 8.5 hours is against a Interstate route of 6 hours, you are way off base even taking into account a slowdown on the George Washington bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway. Keep in mind that your maximum speed is lower than on the Interstate and much lower going through towns. You could figure it out laboriously by looking at the detailed descriptions of US 202 on the web and actually calculating the distances from town to town giving yourself an average and is 5 MPH below the actual speed limit between towns (assume 55 MPH, although that is optimistic).