Two Harbors or Grand Marais, Minnesota

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to find a destination for MEA weekend (Minnesota thing, no school, long weekend) and thought about a nice fall outing "Up North." See the ships in Duluth, hike Gooseberry Falls, throw rocks in the lake, view whatever pretty leaves are remaining, etc. I have found a couple lodges to stay and just trying to get some reviews. Has anyone been or know anything about Larsmont Cottages? They are rated highly on Tripadvisor which is how I found them. Just don't know too much.

Another option is to go all the way to Grand Marais and stay somewhere along the Gunflint Trail but I worry that it will be a bit too cold there in mid-October to do too much. Thoughts?

Thanks.
taitai
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM

taitai -- I took my boys to the North Shore in early October 2006 (must have been a long weekend for them too) and the first day was absolutely gorgeous - not too hot and not too cold. The other days I remember not being optimal weather, but we're from the Midwest so a little drizzle and cold in early October doesn't bother us. We were prepared with coats, hats and gloves. We made stops in Duluth, Two Harbors, Gooseberry Falls, and our firm night stayed in Silver Bay at the AmericInn Lodge. I remember my youngest absolutely loving the waterslide they have there. Our second night we stayed in Grand Marais at the Best Western Superior Inn & Suites. It was right on the water and I got up early the day we were leaving to watch the sun rise. It was freezing cold but was so worth it! If you don't mind the cold mornings and evenings, I would definitely make this trip. The days we had were gorgeous and sunny! Make the hike to Caribou Falls if you have time - it was BEAUTIFUL!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Grand Marais! Wonderful spot. Best Western is right on the harbor. Also the Harbor view Inn. So much to see on the way up. It is about 6 hours from the Twin Cities. If that is too long, consider Tofte or Lutsen. Then you could explore farther up while you are there. you will have missed the color peak and it will be cool, but not a lot cooler than Duluth or Two harbors.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM

We stayed in the Best Western in Grand Marais (that going_places mentions) last summer. We really enjoyed it.

I've never stayed in Two Harbors so can't comment on it. But Grand Marais is great. Very nice little town, good restaurants in every price range, nice shops, wonderful scenery and close to beautiful state parks, the Gunflint Trail, etc.

But then we were there in July! I hope Cali sees this. She grew up thereabouts and should be able to give you some advice on mid-October.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks for the advice. I am starting to lean towards the GM area and staying at the Gunflint Lodge. They have cabins which would be cool for our kids and have all sorts of little nature activities during the day. One thought is to leave early (we are in Minneapolis) and stop in Duluth on the way up and then make it to GM for a late lunch. Then continue a bit further to the lodge. On the way back we would do about the same but stop at Split Rock. Would mean bypassing Gooseberry but staying on the Trail should compensate.

Looked at the Best Western as it gets so many positive reviews but like the idea of a cabin and more space a bit better.

Thanks for the advice you all have given and any more anyone else might care to share.

taitai
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM

I recommend Grand Marais too. It is a very nice little town and there are lots of sights to see all along the way up the shore. Two Harbors has become more of a tourist town in recent years and it definitely has things to see and do but I think you can see and do more going farther up the shore. Stop at Betty's pies which is just north of Two Harbors for a piece of pie and a sandwich or if you prefer to drive a little farther you can stop at Rustic Inn. Grand Marais has quite a few restaurants and motels. There is the Best Western Superior Shores which is right on the water and then next to it is Aspen Inn which also has a view of the water but not as good a view. You can walk downtown from both. In the downtown area there are the East Bay Suites and the Cobblestone Cove Suites which are condos. I have heard from friends who have rented in both and they prefer Cobblestone. Cobblestone is right on the harbor and East Bay is on the East Bay. There is also the Shoreline Hotel and Harbor Inn which are also right downtown. Right outside of town there is a Super 8 and also some cabins. The Gunflint Trail which runs 60 mi into the woods from Grand Marais has many lodges. As for restaurants you have some choices - Angry Trout, Birch Terrace, Wild Onion, Blue Water Cafe, Sven & Ole's Pizza, Gunflint Tavern, Chez Jude (more upscale) and out of town there is Naniboujou which is worth seeing. Food is good too. Have a good trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM

You might find you have more time to make the little stops like we did along the way to Grand Marais or on your way back. We left on a Saturday and returned on a Monday and we packed a lot into the days but had a great time. I think because of the time of year we visited (October) there were not as many people. In fact, while hiking most of the trails, we rarely came across anyway. Gooseberry probably had the most people.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Once again, thanks for the advice. I went ahead and booked Gunflint Lodge. I spoke to some people there and they assured me they would have activities appropriate for my two 5 year olds and one 6 year old. We will definitely stop off in GM for food along the way...either Angry Trout or Sven and Ole's. Kind of depends on the guys' moods. How is Betty's Pies? Some people rave and some people say it is way overrated. I guess that is the same with every restaurant but would love some more feedback. My husband is a pie fiend and would love to stop if it truly is good.

Thanks for the advice.

taitai
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM

You will enjoy Gunflint Lodge. They do have activities that your children will enjoy. For the most part we love th pies at Betty's Pies. Of course some are better than others. My very favorite is the 5 layer chocolate. I have the recipe for that one and make it often for friends here in CA and everyone loves it. I also love the bread they use on their sandwiches. Have a good trip!!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:09 PM

oops, I forgot. Gunflint Lodge has excellent food and another place to stop on the trail for a sandwich and a piece of pie that is very good is Trail Service Center which is about 1/2 way up the Trail.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Betty's Pies is good, as is Rustic Inn Cafe, they both have expanded over the years, losing some of their quaintness and quality, but still both are excellent choices for a lunch stop on the way up or down the North Shore.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who gave me advice on our MEA weekend trip. We just got back and had a terrific time. Ended up going way, way "Up North" to the Gunflint Lodge. It was wonderful. We got a cabin right on the water which worked out very well for our family. There is a great deal of hiking all along the trail and within the Superior National Forest but, due to the ages of our kids, we stuck to the trails right on property. Each was about a mile or so long so nothing too strenuous for our young boys. Sadly, we never saw a moose. However, we did see several bald eagles, grouse, a fox and other animals. To make it easier on our guys, I brought up all our food and cooked in the cabin kitchen so I can't comment on the restaurants. However, other people at the Lodge were raving about the food.

In terms of Grand Marais, we really wanted to eat at either the Angry Trout or the Crooked Spoon. However, our kids were uncharacteristically angelic on the long drive up and we thought it was going to push our luck too far to try a slighter nicer place. So, we ended up at Sven and Ole's for pizza which was just fine.

Stopped at the Split Rock Lighthouse on the drive back but never really saw it. The guys just wanted to toss a football around so we did that to burn off some energy before resuming the drive. Will have to go back next time.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Taitai
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Glad you liked Gunflint Lodge. We always spend a few days there every year. Their restaurants are excellent.