Search

NorthShore lodging

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NorthShore lodging

First of all, thanks to all who answered my questions I posted over a month ago about the twin city trip that we are planning in June. You've been very helpful. Therefore, here I'm again.

We have decided to squeeze in 3 more days driving up to the north shore,as we are gonna be that close to the area already. But I have no idea how long is the drive from Duluth to the border. Do you think we have enough time to make it to Grand Marais,which I understand is the furtherest north?(Correct me if I'm wrong.) Would it be alright if I just book an inn or something at one spot and drive back and forth in the 3 days for sightseeings? I think my kids would enjoy the tracks (Alpine slide?)a lot. What is the best place you recommend to stay so we can sightsee efficiently. I do not have a single clue of how to plan this driving route in those 3 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:35 PM

It is about 2-1/2 hours from Mpls. to Duluth and then 110 miles or about 2 hours from Duluth to Grand Marais. Grand Portage and the Border are another 35 miles away. There are a number of hotels/motels/condos in Grand Marais and I think you can find them on the Grand Marais Chamber of Commerce Website. Also lots of little resorts with cabins. A couple places I can think of are: Aspen Inn, Best Western Superior Shores, Harbor Inn, Shoreline Hotel and Lund's Cabins (all in GM itself and within walking distance of downtown), but there are others right outside town too. In Lutsen, there is Lutsen Resort, Caribou Highland's, Condos, and some other places I can't remember. In Tofte, there is Bluefin Bay and AmericInn. Along the North Shore there are many other places - Cove Point Lodge near Beaver Bay, Grand Superior Lodge (between Silver Bay and Two Harbors), and Superior Shores in Two Harbors along with a couple other motels I can't remember. There are also lots of places to stay in Duluth, especially right down by the water in Canal Park - Inn on the Lake, Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites, South Pier Inn, Hawthorn Suites, etc. Uptown there is a Radisson and Holiday Inn. I don't know where you could stay and do the whole area each day but think I would spend one night in Duluth or Two Harbors and another in Grand Marais. You can see the other areas when you are driving up or back down the Shore. I prefer having a town to walk around and see things but if you don't the ones out of town or along the road are also nice. We love the North Shore and look forward to getting up there at least once in the winter and once in the summer - we live in CA. Hope you like it as well as we do. Have fun!!
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Cali,for your information. Very helpful. I think we would enjoy it very much.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM

My husband and I stayed at Blue Fin last summer. We took day trips to Grand Marais and the Wolf Refuge. Our condo unit was very nice, right on the water. The resort includes a lot of sports equipment (bikes, kayaks) in the rate. The bike trails and hiking are quite fantastic.
I highly recommend the Angry Trout restaurant in Grand Marais and the Scenic Cafe on the Scenic Road just after you leave Duluth (a very charming place in its own right). Happy travels.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM

We also like to stop at Betty's Pies right outside Two Harbors for lunch. Yummy homemade bread and pies. It can be super busy in the summer tho. We also enjoy Pickwick in Duluth (nice view of the lake and the ships coming and going) and Track's in Lutsen. In Grand Marais, we like pizza at Sven & Ole's and Angry Trout. If you want to see a unique (and old) Dining Room, the Naniboujou Lodge, which is about 15 miles north of Grand Marais on Hwy 61, is something to see - and food is good. The whole ceiling of the dining room (which is large) is all Cree Indian Painting and is very bright and unique. The Landing Restaurant at Devils Track Lake (about 9 mi from GM) is also good. Hope this helps. Harbor Inn right on the harbor in GM is also good for a sandwich and they also have good sandwiches and fresh and smoked fish at Dockside.
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM

The Best Western Superior Shores in Grand Marais has nice big rooms with balconies overlooking the back bay. It is a great location, IMHO.