Search

Minnesota North Shore Itinerary and Accomodation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:30 PM
E
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minnesota North Shore Itinerary and Accomodation

I am trying to plan a 4-day weekend trip to the North Shore (from the Twin Cities)that would also include a stop in Eveleth, at the Hockey Hall of Fame. I realize it's not exactly on the way...I was thinking we could head straight to Eveleth (I35 to 53, maybe?); would we have to stay overnight, given the distance to then return to Duluth (perhaps via 4?) and head north along the shoreline?

This brings me to the question of lodging: if we have to stay in Eveleth, can anyone suggest a place? On the shore, I was thinking of Cove Point Lodge (in Beaver Bay)as a good base--any opinions, or alternative suggestions? I'd like to take a day trip from there to Grand Marais; or should we plan to stay in or near Grand Marais instead?

As you can see, I need help! Thanks in advance for any you can provide.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Two Harbors, about 40 mi N of Duluth, has a nifty B&B, literally, at the lighthouse. It's run by the Lake Co Historical Society. Check lighthousebb.org .

We stayed there about 3 years ago, and were delighted!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 08:41 PM

Cove Point is a neat lodge but unfortunately, not near anything - so only stay there if you are going to be there for dinner and leave the next day. The B&B ub the lighthouse in Two Harbors is a fun place to stay and is in a town, however, I like Grand Marais better as there are little shops and things right around town. The Best Western Superior Inn in GM is nice if you have a jacizzi suite. I also like Duluth and styaing down by the lake walk. There are many hotels/motels down there and you can walk around the area. We like Hawthorn Suites and Inn on the Lake and loved South Pier Inn when we stayed there this summer. It is right at the bridge but on the other side from the main Canal Park things. It is especially fun when a boat is going out or coming in.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:38 AM

You might look into Bluefin Bay Resort about 30 minutes south of Grand Marias. The units are located right on the lake so you have wonderful views from almost every unit-they vary in size, beds, kitchen facilities, etc. There is also a really nice bakery, the Coho and restaurant there. You will be very close to some nice hiking also. We have stayed there many times and you can't beat the views.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM
E
Original Poster

Thnaks so much for the great replies--I knew I could count on Fodorites to help clear up my confusion!

So here's my tentative plan:
Friday--Haul all the way to Eveleth to the Hall of Fame, then spend the night in Duluth, I'm thinking at the South Pier Inn
Saturday--check out Duluth, then drive to Grand Marais, perhaps stay at the Best Western
Sunday and Monday--drive up and down North Shore before heading home Monday afternoon

How does that sound? Thanks again!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Save room for the World's Best Donuts in Grand Marias----they really are!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:50 PM

I totally agree about World's Best Donuts in Grand Marais. Have a good trip!!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:37 AM
moo

There is a gondola at Lutsen Mountain that you can ride to the top and hike around (summer) not sure if there will be snow by then, if not take it to the top and catch the view at the cafe at the top. Also, Grand Marais' Angry Trout Restaurant is a must. Just north of Duluth is Betty's Pies. Just stop. You will be glad you did. We've always stayed at the Caribou Crossing Resort in Lutsen. It is very nice and has lots of accommodation choices. For this short of a trip though, Grand Marais accommodations would be the best choice. Also, the fort at Grand Marais -- almost to the border is a nice side trip. Have fun!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM

The Old Fort is in Grand Portage which is about 35 miles north of Grand Marais and near the Canadian Border. I also agree with Betty's Pies and Angry Trout. Both are good. For Pizza we like Sven & Ole's.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:04 AM
E
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, again, for such excellent ideas. I'm still really torn as to whether to stay in Tofte (Bluefin Bay resort)or in Grand Marais. I thought if we stayed in Tofte, we could spend Sunday driving north, past Grand Marais and back, and then do the shoreline south of Tofte on our way home on Monday. If we were to stay in GM, we'd end up driving south of there on Sunday to sightsee, and then again to go back home on Monday, which seems silly...

What to do, what to do...anyway, thanks again!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 09:10 PM

WE liked Blue Fin Bay--but my favorite location--I have stayed there 4 times in 2 years is the cabins at Sugar Beach in Tofte--right before you get to Blue Fin Bay. Every cabin is wonderful--I have stayed in 4 different ones. You will be right on the flat rocks of LAke Superior with a fireplace, deck and you can build a campfire right on the rocks. Angry Trout is delicious--have been there twice--but I am a little under whelmed by Grand MArais--WOrld's Best Donuts are the best but I was the there the 1st week-end in OCt and we had the last batch before they turned off the fryer! In Duluth, you have to stay at PArk Point. If you want the most beautiful river with gorges and many many waterfalls go to Temperance River
before you are in Tofte. Park by the road there are parking spaces and take the trail heading away from the lake.
Every step of the way gets better--.
Have fun.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:46 PM
E
Original Poster

I though I'd follow up with what we actually ended up doing!

We drove straight to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth from south of the Twin Cities, a drive of about 4 hours. The HOF is a bit sad, even for a big fan like my SO--small, and the exhibits are slightly tatty and very homemade in appearance. But we were glad to stop, and glad also to see the old Hippodrome where so mnay US hockey greats got their start, and, of course, the World's Largest Hockey Stick! We also enjoyed the opportunity to drive through the Iron Range, a unique, gritty and hard-working portion of the state most tourists bypass.

From Eveleth we drove through Ely and down Hwy 1 to Hwy 62, the North Shore Drive. Beautiful country along Hwy 1, through the Superior National Forest--it must be just breathtaking in the fall. Had some great bald eagle sightings.

We decided to stay at Bluefin Bay, and were very happy with the decision. The condo we stayed in was spotlessly clean, and not 20 feet from Lake Superior--we could hear the waves crash as we snugged in front of the fire and had an awesome view in daylight! (Thanks for the suggestion, laurelee!)It was a one-bedroom, which meant it had a queen size bed in a separate bedroom, a full kitchen with brand-new appliances and a complete set of dishes and utensils, a small dining area, and a cozy sitting room with a wood-burning fireplace. The wood was restocked daily. And it was a good value, as the resort offered a third night free with two nights' stay. The location worked well for a first trip, as it's sort of in the middle of the length of 61 from Duluth to Grand Portage.

The food situation was a bit grimmer. The good: the Coho Bakery and Deli was great for breakfast and looked good for lunch and dinner (excellent breads and pastries); the Breakers Bar at Bluefin Bay was cozy and had a great, extensive menu. It wasn't a very bar-y bar--no smoking, and there were lots of families with babies dining! Excellent salmon burger and Grownup Mac & Cheese (with aged cheddar and blue cheeses).

The bad news: the Bluefin Restaurant was quite awful. Overpriced, and just bad food--I'd stay away and stick with the Breakers for a predicatbly decent meal.

In Grand Marais, Angry Trout and World's Best Donuts were both closed for the season, and GM disappointed us in general. The shops carried a lot of the same stuff over and over and were a bit too kitschy, although we did like the Trading Post and one gallery whose name I forgot--it's directly across from Sven and Ole's.

As for Sven and Ole's: overrated, IMO. Mediocre pizza, overpriced, and the decor has slipped from charmingly shabby to downright grubby. The problem is, GM has so few dining options, S & O's marches on. We were intrigued by a new Thai restaurant right on 61 in GM, but it was closed for the weekend.

But who can stay cranky when the lake and surroundings are so incredibly beautiful?? Driving along 61 is sheer pleasure, especially with the birches having dropped their leaves, and we also enjoyed a long drive up the Gunflint Trail. We walked out to a Moose Viewing Platform, but no luck--was it some Ranger's idea of a joke?!

We also loved the walk along the Temperance River--thanks, goklw, it is truly spectacular!--and two quick stops at Palisade Point and the Split Rock Lighthouse.

And we'd like to return, perhaps for some winter fun, perhaps in the early summer...

Thansk again, everyone, for your great advice!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:02 PM

Sorry to hear you were disappointd with Grand Marais. We go there several times a year and really do love it in the summer but also enjoy it in the winter. It does get quiet in the late fall tho and do know it might not be your cup of tea. We like BlueFin Bay too but like being in a town better than out there with limited things to do. We also like winter activities so that might account for our enjoying it in the winter too. We have met many people from there on our many trips so feel like it is our 2nd hometown. I totally agree with your assesment of BlueFin for dinner - our opinion on a number of occasions. A really great place to eat - but a long way out of the way is Gunflint Lodge and also Rockwood Lodge. Naniboujou which is East of Grand Marais has wonderful food too but is probably closed now until the Christmas HOlidays. It is so unique and food is excellent. No alcohol tho if you need a drink with a meal. Hope you go back sometime and maybe will enjoy it as much as we do. Also, try Duluth sometime - it is a fun place now. Think you'd love South Pier Inn. Thanks for your update.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Glad you enjoyed Bluefin Bay and got in a nice unit. Some of the units have been updated more recently than others but it sounds like you got a nice one. Those views are incredible. The Coho usually has tasty food-and I know what you mean about theh Bluefin Bay Restaurant-expensive and so-so. We often end up eating at Coho ALOT when we go. Glad you had fun.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 10:31 AM
E
Original Poster

Cali, we like winter activities, too--cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and just walking around. We knew we'd be up there at a kind of in-between time--no snow yet, but late enough that many places are closed for the season. We definitely plan to go back later in the winter, and we'll certainly give GM another look. Thanks again for your advice!