Reload this Page >

Trip to UP (Grand Marais) Michigan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:19 PM
cl9

I've been meaning to do this for a long time so here it goes. We'll see if anyone is really interested in WI or the UP.

we took this trip the end of May beginning of July

Day 1: Four of us loaded up for a 6 day road trip from Ames, IA to Grand Marais, MI. We were going to attend a Friends of the Pleistocene (group interested in the geology and geography of the last ice age) meeting that weekend. We drove from Ames to Madison, Wi. We stayed at the University Inn (becasue of a recommendation from this site, thank you). It is just off State street. We wanderd around state street, window shopping mostly. We ate at Porta Bella's, just behind the hotel. It was pretty good, not great (a little too romantic for four twenty-something women actually). We felt it was resonable at least. The highlight of Madison was walking down to the U of W student union and drinking beer on the patio, looking out over the lake.
The University Inn was cheaper than any other hotel in the area, and ideally located for what we wanted to do. However, it seemed a little rundown (although clean) and it was really noisy very late into the night. It didn't seem like our windows kept out much noise at all.

Day 2: We had no plan really, but we decided to head towards the Door Peninsula. Our only goals of the day, get closer to the UP and fird "sqeaky cheese" (otherwise known as cheese curds). We drove up US 151 to Fond du Lac around Lake Winnebago. We stopped at High Cliff State Park. They had some nice trails, but we wouldn't have spent the time here if we had it to do over again. At this point we decide that we might as well drive a little ways up the Door Pennisula. Its touristy, there will be cheese places "we're in Wisconsin there has to be cheese". We drove to Green Bay then took 54 across the pennisula. We ended up on a detour got a little lost, almost hit a deer etc. etc. We end up in Sturgeon Bay, looked like a nice place, but we still hadn't found cheese, only the promise of cheese. We go north following the signs for giant cheese store (we may have assumed the giant part). The shore was pretty and far less developed than I expected. There were dandilions and cherry trees in bloom; it was a very pretty drive. Finally we see a winery (Door Peninsula Winery) store. We go in and proceed to buy about $120 of cherry wine between 2 of us. They direct a mile down the road to what truly is a giant cheese store, but at this point its 5 pm and its closed Thwarted in our cheese qwest, but richer in wine, we head back towards Green Bay. From Green Bay we head up the shore towards Escanaba, we planned to find a roadside motel for the night. Problem; it was foggy, we couldn't see motel signs until we were on top of them. Finally we get to Escanaba, MI the streetlights (and neon sign) lead us to the Hiawatha Hotel. Only smoking left but it was clean (if smelly) and cheap ($55 for four of us).

to be cont.....

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:40 PM
cl9

sorry beginning of June

That took more space than I thought I'll try to be more concise.

Day 3: We drove from Escanaba to Palm Brooks SP. This was the hidden jewel of our trip. It is a spring-fed, limesone lined pool. You self-tow a raft out to the center where you can see water bubble up from the bottom, down trees and fish swim by. The water is perfectly clear and an eerie green color. From there we drove gravel road through Hiawatha National Forest towards Munising. This was a nice isolated drive (we saw two cars in 100 miles). In Munising we took the boat tour of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. It felt good to get out of the car and feel the wind and sun on our faces. We all really enjoyed the ride (although the guide is pretty corny) the rocks are breathtaking. Afterwards we packed in the car, stopped by Munising and Wagoner falls (both nice waterfalls) and headed towards Grand Marais. Once again we took backroads (we had 4wd). On H58 there were a few pullouts where you could access a trail to the beach, very pretty and isolated. We drove past the Grand Sable dunes (very impressive) and to Grand Marais. We stayed at the North Shore Lodge. We ate a great meal at a brewpub with excellent wheat beer (Superior brewpub or something like that).

Day 4: Day trip to Western UP. We drove to Tahqumenon Falls. The upper falls were gorgeous. The lower falls less spectacular (or did I turn them around?) but they had canoes you could take over to a small island. It looked nice, but we didn't have the time. From there we went up to Whitefish point. The Shipwreck museum was much more interesting than I expected. The bird watching was also excellent from this spot. On the way back we stopped for pasties (not with a long a, I learned). I still havn't decided wether I liked it or not. Finally we wrapped the day up with a drive through Seney Natl. Wildlife refuge. Although we didn't see much beside swans, geese and a couple of beaver, they have a nice drive-thru tour. We would've gotten out to hike but it was nearing dusk and the mosquitos (M-rex as we taken to calling them) were out in force. Back to Grand Marais Lodge.

cont . . .

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:49 PM
cl9

shorter this time I promise

Day 5: I won't bore you with the details of our meetings but
Grand Maris was a cute little town. Not nearly as touristy as I'd thought it would be. I know it was early for tourists, but there were only a few hotels and resteraunts in this little town. Most of the people there were fisherman.

Grand sable dunes were really impressive. Lake Superior in general was gorgeous. There were a lot of short easy hikes, and some more strenuous ones, to waterfalls and beaches along the shore.
The drive from Marquette across WI to Duluth was also really nice. Hilly terrain in MI and then the shoreline in WI (especially the Apostle Islands).

In short, I loved the UP. I can't wait to return and explore the eastern and western most parts with my husband.

I hope this will help someone, someday. Hopefully, I won't get flamed too badly for droving on and on.

Sorry

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:50 PM
cl9

shorter this time I promise

Day 5: I won't bore you with the details of our meetings but
Grand Maris was a cute little town. Not nearly as touristy as I'd thought it would be. I know it was early for tourists, but there were only a few hotels and resteraunts in this little town. Most of the people there were fisherman.

Grand sable dunes were really impressive. Lake Superior in general was gorgeous. There were a lot of short easy hikes, and some more strenuous ones, to waterfalls and beaches along the shore.
The drive from Marquette across WI to Duluth was also really nice. Hilly terrain in MI and then the shoreline in WI (especially the Apostle Islands).

In short, I loved the UP. I can't wait to return and explore the eastern and western most parts with my husband.

I hope this will help someone, someday. Hopefully, I won't get flamed too badly for droning on and on.

Sorry if I bored you

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:31 PM
x

Enjoyable!

Glad you had a good trip.

Door County may have its drawbacks, but I hope no one is put off by your report, since you barely got into the 'real' DC ...there is a lot to be enjoyed/
discovered as you wend your way north.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:39 AM
cl9

I didn't mean to put anyone off of Door Co.
I was pleasantly suprised that it wasn't more developed.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:06 AM
jpm

Great Report! I live in Madison and we are heading to the UP for this weekend. We are considering going to Munising for the boat tour. I'm going to make a note of Palm Brooks SP - definitely plan on making it there - if not on this trip then the next.