Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Turquoise museum worth Albuquerque morning traffic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into ABQ on 5/2, landing about 4:15 p.m. Will spend the night in the vicinity, heading out the next day toward Santa Fe by PhotoDad's route through Jemez. Ran across a mention of a turquoise museum on Central Ave. NW in a strip mall west of Old Town. Has anyone been there? Worthwhile? Funky? Related question: will this put us on the wrong side of town to be heading out toward Jemez and is morning traffic awful? I'm thinking of Boston rush hour, stop&go type stuff. If it's a fun place and the traffic isn't a problem, we'll try to stay closer in to town; if not, we'll look for a hotel for 5/2 on the way out of town. Would love some advice!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Ive never heard of it. And from your description of where it's located, I'd say skip it.

As for traffic, there is a lot but nowhere near Boston traffic.

Debi
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Okay, you oughta know! Thx for input.
gail
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM

The Turquoise Museum is small and family owned, but well put together and very educational.
Actually, it is on Central near Rio Grande, not very far from the Rio Grande exit of I-40, so it is pretty easy to get to. Whether you want to see it depends on how much you like rocks/turquoise/Indian jewelry. It is a museum, not just a cover for a sales shop and is run by a father and son who are probably the prime experts in turquoise jewelry in the U.S.
It is a particularly good stop if you are planning to buy any turquoise while in the SW and need to know what to watch out for.
Vera
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM

I haven't been there, but as Vera said, it's about a block west of Rio Grande on Central.

Traffic will be fine by whatever time the place opens; our rush hour is busy from 7-8 in the morning, and even then it's not all that bad.

From the museum, get on I-40 at Rio Grande; head east to I-25 and then north to start PhotoDad's route.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM

I agree with Vera. We visited the museum last year, and enjoyed it very much. That's because we love rocks. I learned so much about turquoise, and I was able to acquire a piece of turquoise, an unburnished real rock. It's one of the special things of that trip. The museum is not large and flashy. But if you love rocks.... and it's near the botanic gardens, which also is a fine place for a stroll.