True Crime Vacation Reading!

Aug 30th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

True Crime Vacation Reading!

Does anybody have any suggestions for good true crime novels I can read on my beach vacation?? There are so many out there...I just don't know which ones are the best. Thank you!
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I think that Ann Rule has some of the most factual true crime books out there. Any of her books are a good read.
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Patricia Cromwell is another that has some good true crime novels.
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding of what you mean, but what is a true crime novel? for example, "Devil in the White City" is a highly recommended non-fiction book about a serial killer in chicago during the worlds fair sometime in the 19th century. I haven't finished it, but it was recommended to me by many people. It is not a novel, though, which would, I think, be considered fiction.

I'm not wanting to be picky about the wording, just making sure that your request is clear - are you looking for fiction that is "true crime-like" or non-fiction?
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Jlm makes a very good point. Are you looking for fiction or true crime, which is non fiction.

If you're interested in real true crime, Ann Rule, John Douglas and Gregg Olsen are my favorites. Ann Rule recently wrote a book on the Green River killer but my favorite of hers is "All She Ever Wanted" about a Southern belle who framed her husband for murder.

John Douglas is a former FBI profiler and all of his books are good, in my humble opinion.

As for fiction, I think Dominick Dunne is pretty good.
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Though it is not a novel, I would suggest Bruce Paley's book on the true identity of Jack the Ripper, which is at odds with Patricia Cornwell's.

Something else to tickle your fancy at the beach- "The Bermuda Triangle- Solved" by Lawrence Kusche. Well-researched, he explains most of the Bermuda Triangle "mysteries".
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:20 PM
E

Statia, isn't it Patricia Cornwell?

Anyway, I second Ann Rule for true crime, plus, someone help me here, what is the name of the Florida newspaper reporter who writes true crime books? She's good, too, if only I could remember her name! Vincent Bugliosi is another reliably good true crime writer--former prosecutor in the Manson case.

I also like James Ellroy's fiction, and his nonfiction book about his own mother's murder, called My Dark Places, is great.

Agree--true crime novels is an oxymoron. They're either novels or true...
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions...I will look into getting some of these. Sorry about the mis-understanding with my wording...I meant true crime non-fiction. Thank you!
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:31 PM

You're right, E. Thanks for the correction. That's what I get for trying to post while doing other things at work.
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:50 PM
JJ5

The two best for TRUE crime are Ann Rule and Edna Buchanan (she was the crime reporter in Miami for years).

Ann Rule has one about a very rich couple that went missing on their yacht that would be a great beach/water read.
Maybe that one was "Dead by Sunset". Her latest is "Possession". All her titles are intriguing reading and she writes very clearly and objectively.

Edna Buchanan has a new one coming out right now, as well.
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:01 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Joe McGinniss. Some years ago, I picked up "Blind Faith" at an airport and could not put it down. Have enjoyed all his others as well.
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:08 PM
JJ5

Yes, he is very good too. Blind Faith is a good read. Ann Rule and Edna Buchanan are just more prolific. Ann Rule also has collections of short stories for her cases that she thought didn't deserve the introspection of her novel length cases. They are very good for vacation reads as well.
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:12 PM

For sure, I was suggesting Joe McGinniss in addition to Ann Rule, whose books are extraordinary!

Especially fascinating is that she found herself a fabulous new career with Ted Bundy (she had actually worked with him years previous to his arrest, and was one of those who "would never, ever, have suspected").
Sep 1st, 2005, 05:01 PM
JJ5

Yes, and that's the case with SO MANY people she documents. AND with pictures which really make a difference to me as you read and see the physical changes etc.

But what I like about all of them the most is that they have, especially Ann, a real and in depth psychological placement for the victim or victims as well as families, consequently she makes you understand without anger and with compassion, WHY no one ever suspects that nice boy or girl. You KNOW her people.
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:16 PM

I like Joseph Wambaugh - The Onion Field, The Blooding, Lines and Shadows and Vincent Bugliosi - Till Death Do Us Part and Helter Skelter.

Joseph Wambaugh is an ex LAPD officer who also writes fiction. (The CHoir Boys I think was his first... Fiction, and a hoot)

I read Bugliosi's Helter Skelter YEARS ago and it was fascinating. Gave me the willies.

Any of the books I listed are hard to put down, IMHO.
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM

You can get ideas about all the authors and books listed on amazon.com Sometimes you can read a chapter on line.
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:37 PM

I'd recommend almost anything by Robert Ludlum. He died last year, and there is a recent book out that I still have to get, but I have read all his other works.

What I like is that he takes fact and fiction and you aren't really sure which is which.

You might start with the Matarese
Circle. But I warn you......you will have trouble putting the book down.

Have a great trip.