A good read?

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good read?

Have an 11 hour flight coming up - anyone recommend a good read to really hold my interest? No horror please.

Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:33 AM

The Lovely Bones - it's a murder mystery even though you know all along who did it. It is told from the viewpoint of the murdered girl as seen from heavan. I thought it was quite a different twist on suspense.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Have a look at the suggestions in this thread - I got a lot of good ideas! (don't be put off by the "no-brainer" part!)

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=2&tid=1375677
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:55 AM

What kind of books do you enjoy reading?

Any Michael Chrichton I always adore (though you may want to shy away from AIRFRAME on an Airplane---though it didn't stop me)

If you like Non-fiction
There Are No Children Here (though it may be a little dated with the tearring down of all the projects in Chicago).

If you are into war stories and interesting story called Gods Go Begging by Alfredo Vea compares the inner city LA area in current times to the war zone of Vietnam---he came to my class and spoke my sophmore year of college---An Interesting read
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:22 PM

I recently read "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver, which I just loved - great story, wonderful characters, and the language is lush and sensuous. Another wonderful book is "Good Harbor" by Anita Diamont, which takes place on Cape Ann, Massachusetts (she also wrote "The Red Tent", another favorite). I don't know your gender, but I imagine that all of these books probably hold more appeal for women than for most men
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:31 PM

Michael Crichton's Timeline, especially if you are off for France. I didn't like the Lovely Bones at all. So, you are going to have to do some research on these books, as tastes differ!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 04:24 PM

Absolutly loved the Vince Flynn novels with Mitch Rapp as main character. I believe the first one is Transfer of Power, also try Seperation of Power. Could not put them down!! Action Adventure.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Three Junes was totally absorbing and wonderful....also for women, the Shopaholic series is quite fun...mindless but good....Empire Falls was an amazing book - good for anyone!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Sisters Found by Joan Johnston is about twins who find out they are triplets, this was so good I read it in one day. It is about 375 pages. Curious as to where you are flying to?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:44 AM

"The Lovely Bones" was my first thought also.
Fantastic!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, some good suggestions here - I see a pattern forming!

a321sesame - It is hard to pin down my favourite genre of books, I like coming of age type stuff, psychologically stuff, romantic but NOT slushy. Something to make you think - observational writing can be fab - twists are great - what is the name of the genre I am looking for - can't think of it?! Ahh!!

Many of my favourite authors are British and not sure if you will have heard of them. Susan Howatch writes brilliantly - been waiting over 2 years now for her new book!!

ARKANSASNURSE - I am flying from London to Phoenix! Can't wait to be back in USA - I adore it!!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:49 AM

A great way to get ideas is to go to Amazon.com. Type in one of your favorite authors or books and once it pops up, it will also give you selections to choose from based on what other people bought who read that same author or book. Then you can read excerpts and reviews to see if those selection entertain you. I do this periodically and take a list of "must get" books with me to the bookstore. That is also how I found authors who had similar writing styles to my husband's favorite author, Stephen Frey because Stephen Frey does not put out books as often as other mass market authors. This keeps him entertained while waiting. Also, try their listmania selections. These are reviewers who give list fo their favorite books. You can read excerots and reviews of all of these books as well.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:15 PM

bbib, are you female? I received "Three Plums in One" as a Christmas gift and have since gone through every book about Stephanie Plum's adventures. Three Plums in one is actually the first 3 books that were written in the series by Janet Evanovich:
One for the Money
Two for the Dough
Three to get Deadly

NOT for you if you're looking for a novel that makes you think. Stephanie is from Trenton, NJ and falls into the business of being an apprehension agent rather than going to work at the button factory. She's a pip (as her grandma Mazur would say).
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:00 PM

gotta agree, skip Lovely Bones. It was just OK, and got kind of far-fetched.
How about Beach Music...Pat Conroy?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:56 PM

I like books about traveling when I travel. In Border's, they are in a section called travel narratives. Two favorite authors are Bill Bryson (I'm a Stranger Here Myself, The Lost Continent, A Walk in the Woods) and Michael Horwitz (Blue Latitudes, Confederates in the Attic). Both have a great way of being open to the unusual and a dry sense of humor.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:45 AM

I have to agree, I love Michael Chrichton.
I also love the Harry Potter books (I've read each twice and can't wait for the next).
I also love all the Callahan books by Spider Robinson. They are (mild) si-fi and full of puns.
Erma Bombeck is great for humor esp. "When You Look Like Your Passport Photo It's Time to Go Home".
"Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" was good as well as "Little Alters Everywhere" both by Rebecca Wells.
Hope these help!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:02 PM

How about SeaBiscuit? Shows the early and mid 1900's in interesting light as well as learning about horses/horseracing.

If you are interested in cooking I liked Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl (Gourmet magazine editor)or Kitchen Confidential Tony Bourdain( (hilarious book on working in restaurants). All are easy reads.

Or how about reading a book which revolves around where you are traveling, such as Peter Mayle French Lessons, for France, Under the Tuscan Sun, Italy, Frances Mayes etc.. good luck!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM

bbib,

These are a few of my favorites (all recommended to many others who seemed to enjoy them as well):

1. "100 Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Simply one of the best books I've ever read. Not light reading but amazing and thought provoking. Should be required reading for the world.

2. "Still Life with Woodpecker" by Tom Robbins. Delightful, imaginative and sexual. Great excapist fare that will still make you laugh, cry and think.

3. "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" by John Le Carre. A riveting spy thriller by the master of spy thrillers.

Enjoy your trip!

Strive
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:10 PM

WOW, what a trip. PLEASE get up and stretch once and awhile long flights and long car trips can cause blood clot formation in the legs, which can travel to the lungs and kill you. Don't wanna bum you out, but I AM a nurse, and care about your health, sorry, it's my nature. A simple Bayer aspirin can help with this unless you are allergic. Who wrote Lovely Bones? Sounds like my cup of tea!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Tess

Red Lobster, White Trash and the Blue Lagoon by Joe Queenan is just about the funniest book I've ever read--perfect for a long plane ride. On a more serious note, I also loved Prodigal Summer (the Barbara Kingsolver novel mentioned above). Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grownups is another favorite--quirky characters, beautiful writing. Most people loved the Nanny Diaries--I found it more disturbing than entertaining. How about a nice long Maeve Binchy book--anything written by her is good and attention-keeping. Rosamunde Pilcher is the best, though--September and the Shell Seekers are in my top 20 all time favorites and would hold your interest. Only problem is--you won't want the books to end!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -