nyc ideas for 3 ladies

Sep 1st, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

nyc ideas for 3 ladies

Going on a gals trip to NYC (ages 30-55) in early November. We are huge theater buffs and are planning to see The Odd Couple (already have tickets), Wicked, and whatever we get at the Tkts booth!! However we want some recommendations for the rest of our time!! Having been to NYC before we have seen alot but are looking for new stuff to do this time.
Have been to the Met Museum of art and Natural history museum several times and want a recommendation for one of the other museums. We all love art and history but will not have time to make it to all of the museums.
I know this is vague but any ideas will be appreciated!!

Sep 1st, 2005, 04:20 PM

Check out Avenue Q..it's the reason we made our first trip to NY and we will go back just to see that again! It's hilarious, sentimental etc...Saw Wicked the next night and sorry not to have seen it before Avenue Q, cuz it lacked luster after that!
Sep 1st, 2005, 04:43 PM

Go to the newly renovated MOMA. Have a drink/dinner at the new restaurant, I think it is called the Modern.

Or go to Nueu Galerie, across from the MET. It is the Austrian museum and very nice. They also have a great cafe there called Cafe Sabarsky.
Sep 1st, 2005, 05:09 PM

Been to many many plays and Wicked was by far my all time favorite. I saw it the first week it opened so with the change of cast, it could vary but I doubt it. You must go down to the village and cruise China town where you can find anything in the world. Stop at Pings for some fine chinese food (Mott street, I think) Cut across Canal and up Mulberry two blocks to Bueono Notche (sp) for an Italian dinner that is very reasonable and very good. If your nice to the waiters they will spike your capuchino for free. Have a great time and check out ground zero. Across the street is Century 21...bargin prices on upscale brand names. Buy knock offs from the street venders and watch for the "Naked Cowboy" on Time Square. See if you can get tickets for The View or one of the other shows taped in NY. Up close and personal and there are generaly prizes for studio audience members. Tavern on the Green is expensive for dinner but it opens at noon and the prices are not quite as high. McHales is just off the theater district (check the internet for exact address...somewhere around the corner of 10th and 48th I think) This is not a place noted for ambience but they have the biggest burgers and huge orders of fries for the best price in town. Have a great time.
Sep 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM

Try the Guggenheim, the Whitney or the Frick. Or - if you like mideival european stuff the Cloisters (also great views across the Hudson).
Sep 1st, 2005, 05:31 PM

We recently went to the Frick and really enjoyed it. I was less impressed with the Gugenheim, but that might be because I'm not as fond of contemporary art. I hear the Whitney is worth seeing as well.
Sep 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM

Rather than the TKTS booth why not consider getting something with a discount code (broadwaybox.com) ahead of time? If you're theater buffs what about some off Broadway? Different experience.

Would help to know your interests in art and other things before making suggestions. I like the Frick but you may not.

For history, you might enjoy a walk or with the Municpal Arts Society if you're here Nov 5 or 6

http://www.mas.org/Events/tours.cfm
Sep 1st, 2005, 05:49 PM

Have you been to the Rose Planetarium? That's on my list for the next trip. The museum of the Moving Image in Astoria Queens is also really neat and unusual.
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM

My recommendation is for the new MoMA. Expensive, but well worth the price of admission. Have a great time.
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:56 PM

Highly recommend the food walks - either Chelsea or Greenwich Village. You could do either/both (for free) on your own. But, the guides are fabulous, and get you "behind the scenes" at many places. Terrific commentary, fabulous "tastings", and plenty of literature enormously useful for future visits.

The Chelsea Market may be the better bet in November, as most takes place indoors.

http://foodsofny.com/