Reload this Page >

trip San Francisco to LA with stops

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:19 AM
joan

Interested in planning a trip from Yosemite then down the coast, stopping in MOnterey and ? Hearst castle and then a few days in LA. ( would fly into SF, but not stay there as already been). How many days would we need for this? to do it leisurely? A few in the park, and what to see down the coast ( can skip Santa barbara, as have already been) and then a few days in LA?

Like to do things leisurely, so this may be too much????

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Susan

Joan, I'll take a stab at this. For a leisurely trip, I'd suggest three nights in Yosemite, two nights in Monterey, one night in Cambria/Moonstone Beach on your way south to see Hearst Castle, and then three nights in Los Angeles? So that's a total of nine nights. Of course, you could probably find enough to do in Los Angeles to stay there for a week, but you said just a few days in LA, so this would be a nice, stress-free itinerary. Only thing I'd suggest you consider is the drive through Big Sur and a night there between Monterey and Cambria.

Also, I'd suggest if you aren't going to stay in SF, you should consider flying into Oakland, San Jose or even Sacramento so you'll be closer to Yosemite. Good luck!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Not Again!!!!

joan,

Do you know how many time a week this same question comes up???????

If you would go to the top of the site and do a text search, you would get more information than you would know what to do with.

Not Again!!!!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:42 PM
Chill Out

Dear Not Again (who is also What?)-
Do you really find it necessary to chew out people just because they ask questions previously posted? Maybe they are new to Fodors Talk and have not learned how to search for answers.

You must be the same person identified as What?? from posting yesterday that told someone this board is not a travel agency. What do you mean by that? This is a travel discussion board, can't people ask questions without being ridiculed?

YOU need to lighten up and take a vacation!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:41 PM
ttt

top it off

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 07:38 AM
Carol

Listen to Susan, she has it right on.
Monterrey is most interesting for the historical adobes, not for Fisherman's Wharf or Cannery Row which are just junky tourist places.
You could drive through Pebble Beach if you wanted to spend the money they charge to do so, but the state park south of Carmel is a better way of seeing the coast. Carmel is full of upscale and interesing shops and restaurants. I love the stone house that poet Robinson Jeffers built for his Irish wife with a tower in that style; if you are lucky or make reservations you can have a tour, but its worth a look from the outside. It is near the Carmel Mission, the highlight of the entire area.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Davod

Flying into San Jose would be your best option in terms of putting you closer to Yosemite and also for getting a cheaper fare. SF tends to have a lot of problems with delays. You also could consider flying into Fresno, which is even closer to Yosemite, however the fares for flights into Fresno are usually higher than San Jose.

For an itinerary 3 to 4 nights in Yosemeite (www.yosemitepark.com) However, do make reservations early and stay in the Valley. They have accomodations outside of the Valley but it would require about a 35-40 mile drive each way to get to the Valley floor. In Monterey (www.monterey.com) and Carmel (www.carmelbythesea.com) I would suggest 2 nights. Despite what Carol says, do go to Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row (www.montereywharf.com) (www.canneryrow.com) There are lots of great restaurants and of course there is the coastal scenery. One of the main attractions along Cannery Row is the Monterey Bay Aquarium which is fascinating. Also, I would suggest 17 Mile Drive and visiting the quaint town of Carmel, especially the downtown area along Ocean Avenue. From the Monterey and Carmel areas you can take Highway 1 south to Big Sur and Hearst Castle (www.hearst-castle.com) As with Yosemite, make reservations for Hearst Castle tickets early. For the visit to Hearst Castle you can find accomodations in nearby Cambria. In LA I would think that 4 nights is good to get an overview of the city. Definitely go to the Getty Museum when you are there.
Have a great trip.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:34 AM
Ohno

San Jose? Get serious! Unless you're out to hunt wild pigs....

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:03 PM
What is your problem

Oh no, What terrible experience did you have in San Jose that you makes you post such negative comments about the city? What exactly does flying into Mineta San Jose International Airport have to do with wild pigs? Are you afraid that someone will hunt you down? You are really displaying your true ignorance with such comments.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Ohno

To what is--do a google search on San Jose wild pigs. Looks like them porkers are all over out there. In David's relentless efforts to tout San Jose as a great tourist spot, he doesn't mention that you should bring your 30-30....

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Jill

Ohno should be Ohgo. The suggestion to fly into SJC instead of SFO was right on. No one suggested they "squat" in San JOse. The logistics work!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Oh no is a

Oh no, You really need to get a life. Flying into San Jose is what is best for Joan. Just because she does not want to go to SF, now you have to bash San Jose. Oh, are you just a little jealous? Things must be pretty slow up in SF.