2 WEEKS BETWEEN LOS ANGELES AND SAN FRANCISCO

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:00 AM
SOLANGE

2 WEEKS BETWEEN LOS ANGELES AND SAN FRANCISCO

WE ARE FROM FLORIDA 2 WOMEN , WE WANT TO VISIT THAT AREA STARTING IN LOS ANGELES ON NOV30 .WE WANT TO RENT A CAR AND DRIVE TO SAN FRANCISCO.
PLEASE NEED ADVICE WHAT TO VISIT, HOW MANY DAYS IN EACH PLACE, NICE HOTELS NO TOO EXPENSIVE.NEED TO GET BACK TO LOS ANGELES ON DEC 13 TO FLIGHT BACK HOME ON DEC 14. THANKS

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:17 AM
Cyril

Start by searching here to read some of what has already been covered. In the textsearch box above put 'la to sf', highlight 'california' in the list of places and press find.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Future Reference

SOLANGE,

Using all caps like you have is considered shouting and rude.

As Cyril recommends, do a search. This question has been asked and answered a thousand times.

Future Reference

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:45 AM
Mary

I have a couple of suggestions based on our recent trip. Cambria is a very pleasant town, with nice restaurants and shops. While there, you might be interested in visiting Hearst Castle in San Simeon. A few miles north of the castle, there is a place to pull off and view the elephant seals. It's marked fairly well along Hwy 1. We were too late to see them when we went, but, from what we were told, late November/December is when the males arrive on the beach to stake out their territory. That might be quite a sight!

I would also recommend you allow at least a couple of days on the Monterey peninsula. By doing a search you might figure out if you would prefer Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel, but it is such a lovely area! Have fun!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:12 AM
just

You must plan on visiting Hearst Castle!

Why not fly into LA and fly back home out of SF? Or plan on taking the coastal route up to SF and then on the way back to LA, you need to go through Yosemite.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:14 AM
J Correa

If you like snow, you might consider taking a few days and driving up to Lake Tahoe.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:12 AM
jt

Santa Barbara is a jewel on weekdays. Hit it coming or going, but bypass it weekends when LA overflows into it.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:48 AM
katie

Try to set aside a day and night to visit Yosemite

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
David

Solange,

Definitely stop to enjoy the Central Coast from Big Sur to the Monterey Bay Area www.monterey.com. Hearst Castle www.hearst-castle.org is highly recommended as is the Monterey Bay Aquaruium, Fisherman's Wharf, and 17 Mile Drive. Don't miss the quaint town of Carmel www.carmelbythesea.com with its many shops and cafes. From Monterey you should take Highway 1 north to Highway 17 north into San Jose www.sanjose.org The city has a number of worthwhile attractions including the Tech Museum of Innovation www.thetech.org the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum www.rosicrucian.org and the Winchester Mystery House www.winchestermysteryhouse.com to name a few. Downtown San Jose has many great restaurants especially in San Pedro Square www.sanpedrosquare.com and nightlife especially along South First Street. You can see Broadway shows at the American Musical Theater of San Jose www.amtsj.org North of the city off of the scenic 280 freeway on the way to San Francisco I would also recommend a stop at the Filoli Estate www.filoli.org for a tour of the Georgian Mansion and gardens.
have a great trip

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:58 PM
j

If you haven't purchased your air tickets yet, it makes more sense to fly INTO one city and RETURN from the other. No backtracking.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:20 PM
daisey

I'd stop in Santa Barbara for sure. There are alot of nice motels and inns near the beach.Big Sur would be another nice stop.Carmel and Santa Cruz are also nice.Capitola in Santa Cruz is very quaint. Our weather at that time of year can be pretty wet. It's supposed to be an El Nino year which means lots of rain.You never know when the rainy season will start though. Sometimes the rain doesn't start until the end of Dec. If there is a big storm highway 1 sometimes closes near Big Sur. Have fun anyway in our Golden State.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:27 PM
a

See Carmel if you have class, see Santa Cruz if you're a dried up old hippie looking for a good time.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:36 AM
J Correa

to a little advice - I guess I don't have any class, and I probably don't have any principals either, because I prefer Santa Cruz to Carmel. I'm not a dried up old hippy though.

Solange - Carmel and Santa Cruz are very different places and appeal to different people. It just depends on what a person is looking for. Carmel is a very upscale little village with lots of art galleries and expensive restaurants. Santa Cruz is a beach town and much more diverse than Carmel.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:59 AM
David

I would agree with J Correa. Santa Cruz and Carmel are different places and each are nice to visit depending on your interests. Carmel has more of an upscale older crowd. Santa Cruz is a college town with and therefore, has more of a younger crowd. The coast along Santa Cruz is also very scenic. You can always sleep in Santa Cruz and go to Carmel for a day trip. In Santa Cruz I would advise staying at the West Coast Santa Cruz Hotel www.westcoasthotels.com Each room has an ocean view.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Linda

I do this trip every Thanksgiving for 10 days, it's a great vacation. My favorites include:

- Drive down to Santa Diego for a few days and maybe take a few hours to go to Mexico (40 minute drive). See the beaches, the zoo and museums of interest. Stay at Hotel Del or someplace in Coronado.

- Stop in Santa Barbara for a few days. Stay right accross from the beach at the Ramada. Shop, dine, walk the beaches.

- Continue up Highway 1 (a must) stopping at Ojai, Harmony (population 16) & Cambria for browsing/shopping. Stay overnight on Moonstone Beach, take a walk along the boardwalk in the morning.

- The Madonna Inn is cute for a quick stop.

- Don't miss the Hearst Castle (get there early) or the drive through Big Sur.

- Stop for a few days to explore Monteray (I stay at the Doubletree) and Carmel. Shop, dine & walk the beaches. Visit the aquarium, Pebble beach, the 17-mile drive (best seen by renting a bike), go to the Tuesday evening farmers market in Monteray, eat Ollie Berry pie, visit Bubba Gumps for lunch and Awakenings for breakfast. Take a yoga class.

See the sunset from the nude beach at Half Moon Bay (in November you'll have the beach all to yourself, no admittance fee - it's beautiful!! - find it on Hwy 1 after you pass the regular beach at Half Moon Bay on the way up to SF).

Stay in San Fran for a few days (in Union Square). Take a ride to the Cliff House, see the crooked street, fisherman's wharf, giaradelli square, take a ride on a cable car (at 6 or 7 AM there's no line), shop in Union Square, walk the Golden Gate Bridge and through the Golden Gate Park, get a tour of Alcatraz (rent the tape).

Stop at Muir Woods to see the Redwoods and drive to Stinson Beach.

Head to Sonoma for a few days. Stay at a spa, hike a mountain at Jack London State Park or Bartholomew Park (at the winery), get a massage or take a mud bath. Eat dinner at the Sonoma Mission Inn and breakfast at the Big 3. Go to Oakville (1 hour drive). Visit the Oakville Grocery (great wines & picnic food), Cakebread, Silver Oaks and Mondavi wineries (take the tour at Mondavi).

Skip Copia (overrated) but stop at Vincenzia on Rt 39 (great tastings of jellies, mustards, sauces, etc - good views & picnic food).

If the "Heart of the Valley" charity event in going on, attend (Sunday after Thanksgiving). $10 gets you lots of food and wine tastings with all proceeds going to charity.

If you have time left over, I'd suggest a few days in Yosemite or Lake Tahoe.....

If you can, change your flight so that you fly out of San Fran.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Tom

Linda's itinerary is not a bad one, but I don't recommend taking highway 1 north of Santa Cruz. For one thing, in the winter this road can be quite treacherous, especially for those that are not used to driving on a narrow, winding road. Also, the coastal scenery north of Santa Cruz is not nearly as spectacular as it is in the Monterey Bay Area. Your best bet would be to take the inland route from Santa Cruz to SF via 17 north to 280 north.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:08 PM
J Correa

I agree with the warning about Hwy 1 during a storm. I like Hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz - different than outh of Monterey, but still beautiful IMO - but, the highway can be scary during a heavy storm, especially around Devil's Slide, as the name implies.

If the weather is stormy, I suggest taking Hwy 17 over to San Jose.

If the weather is not stormy, I suggest taking Hwy 9 from Santa Cruz over to Saratoga, which is next to San Jose. Hwy 9 is a 2 lane road which will take you over the mountains right through the redwoods and several small towns that were originally summer resorts. Lots of places to stop, shop, hike, have lunch or get a snack. Hwy 17 goes through the redwoods too, but it's a 4 lane highway which by-passes all the little towns. You can stop in Felton at Henry Cowell State Park for a little hiking. Roaring Camp railroad is right there too. You can take a tour through the redwoods on a steam train there. Outside of Boulder Creek, which is further up the mountain is Big Basin State Park.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 02:13 PM
David

I second J Correa's suggestion of Felton/Roaring Camp Railroad and Big Basin. The redwoods in Big Basin are nicer than the ones in Muir Woods.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Jim

Madonna Inn is in San Luis Obispo and comes before you get to Cambria.

If it's a stormy season, Hwy 1 will likely be washed out prior to your arrival. That means that you won't be able to drive from Cambria to Monterey on Hwy 1.

Another thumbs down for Santa Cruz. Tried it 3 times and never found anything more than gang members and skateboarders.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:08 PM
santacruz

Santa Cruz is a very charming and unique town. The tourists always end up at the Boardwalk and only see other tourists.We have long beautiful beaches and towering redwoods. Capitola and Aptos have wonderful restaurants and inns.So don't let a few grumps keep you from visiting here. Carmel is very nice and the beach is wonderful but it tends to feel a little boring after a day or two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -