Trip Planning/Savannah/Charleston Areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<Where (what city) in the U.S. will you arrrive? It might be best to put that in your title to better call attention to your question.>>

I would imagine we would have to fly into Atlanta from UK and take it from there. Definitely want to spend time in the two above cities but not sure how much time is needed in each and also Hilton Head and maybe even Myrtle Beach for a night.We will be flying down to the Fort Lauderdale area afterwards

DD
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:17 AM

Fly into Charleston. I believe its air services are better than Savannah. You could go to Savannah for a few days. Return to Charleston for 2X or 3X the number of days you spent in Savannah (1 full day is enough there). Then if you want a real beach experience go anywhere except Hilton Head which is just a group of housing developments near the ocean. Go up the coast from Charleston to Pawley's Island (the beach that the rice planters from Charleston went for the summer to escape the malarial mosquitoes of the Low Country) or Litchfield. If you must go to MB you can go from there in a half hour
. There is WONderful seafood to be had in the little town of Murrell's Inlet just north of Litchfield. there is Brookgreen Gardens, a lovely garden with sculptures done by the original owner--the Huntingtons.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM

Take time to review earlier posts for the Savannah versus Charleston debate.I always recommend flying to Atlanta, using HHI as home base and make day trips to Savannah, Charleston and Beaufort. I'm subjectively a Savannah fan.Myrtle Beach is more built-up with lots of big hotel/condos on the beach.More activity than Sav/Charleston (shows, shopping, etc.)but maybe less appealing than the southern part of SC.We all hate the 1-way rental car penalties but the stretch of I95 to FL is very driveable from the bottom of SC.Consider avoiding another airfare.Don't change plans but be aware that hurricane season last into early October.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:12 PM

So you will be landing in Atlanta. From that airport you can fly Delta into Myrtle Beach Airport (myr) and pick up a car. Stay a couple of nights in Myrtle Beach, a few nights in Charleston, A night in HH and 2 nights in Savannah. Drop off the car in Savannah. Fly from Savannah airport (sav) to Ft Lauderdale (FLL).
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Fly from Savannah airport (sav) to Ft Lauderdale (FLL).

I don't think you can fly non-stop directly to FLL or MIA from Savannah. Am I right or wrong?
Thanks for your help everyone so far, very useful
Donna
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:24 AM

I may be completly wrong about this, but I seem to remember that there was at one time flights directly from the UK into the Savannah International Airport.

This may have changed. But it might be worth finding out.

I would skip Myrtle Beach unless you have a lot of time.