Savannah and what else???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK..... Now I really have to get down to business! We leave in 3 weeks and we haven't settled our itinerary! Mom and 2 grown daughters flying into Savannah by noon on Thursday, October 4th. We plan on some sightseeing, maybe a tour, some good food and drink but we have until Monday morning before we fly out. Is it feasible or recommended that we go north to Beaufort or Charleston for either a day trip or one overnight? I was thinking that most of Thursday and all day Friday in Savannah might work and that we should rent a car and drive to Charleston for Saturday. With limited time, is this worth it? I am open to suggestions as I have always gotten reliable advice from this site. Any specific suggestions on where to go and what to see would be appreciated...thanks!!
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM

I'd pick up a guidebook about Savannah and Charleston pronto. (Fodors, Moon and Lonely Planet all have guides which cover these two cities in one book.) I think you'll find that there is as much, if not more, to see in Charleston as Savannah. Plan an overnight trip to Charleston--not just a day trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Would it work for you to fly in to Savannah, pick up a rent car at the airport and drive immediately to Charleston? You could stay there Thursday and Friday nights and then drive back to Savannah on Saturday morning. We liked Charleston so much better than Savannah. We stopped in Beaufort and Walterboro, one on the way to Savannah and one on the way back. You could go to either or both without going to Charleston, if you prefer. We enjoyed this: http://www.scartisancenter.com/Pages/default.aspx
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 03:42 AM

Maryann has a great idea of starting off in Charleston, and then finishing in Savannah, since that is your airport of choice.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

I have the Savannah guidebooks...So it is entirely reasonable to see both cities in this 4 day period??
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Or should we just do Beaufort and surrounding area? Looking for best flavor of the south...
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 03:59 AM

I love all three of the places you mention, but I am a Charleston addict. It is hands down my favorite. If I only had four days and I was flying into Savannah, I would opt out of doing much driving. I would enjoy Savannah and maybe a day outing to Beaufort, which is charming and on a pretty small scale. You could also do a day trip to Tybee Island or one of the Sea Islands. Save Charleston for another trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:55 AM

I, too, like Maryann's suggestion of flying into Savannah and immediately going to Charleston. I think Charleston has more to offer than Savannah and is probably worth a bit more time. I think you could do justice to both cities in your 4-day time frame and it would be reasonable to visit both.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM

With essentially a day and a half in both cities, you could hit some highlights but you'll definitely leave things undone (especially in Charleston, I think). So it depends on what kind of trip you want. I'm not sure where you're from. If you don't think you'll get back to the area in the foreseeable future, a sort of whirlwind tour might be just the thing. But if you travel a lot and think you'd be back sooner rather than later, I'd leave Charleston for a later trip.

Either way, I definitely agree not to do Charleston as a day trip - it's worth an overnight at minimum.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM

Charleston looks close on the map but about half the drive will be on slow roads. From savannah I'd probably expect a two hour drive. Definitely an overnight if you do go. With our nights it is doable but may be rushed. I like idea of going there immediately. Two nights and drive back to savannah Saturday am.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM

Four not our. Hate typing on iPad.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM

You wouldn't be bored staying in Savannah and it surrounds. I think have the fun for your group is just being together and the hassle of having to pack and unpack twice might take away from the stress-free weekend you seek.

I do like Charleston better than Savannah, but that is like saying Nicole Kidman is prettier than Angelia Jolie.

Why don't you figure out what you want to do, antique shop, art galley hop, nature tour, eat..Then plan your time around those activities.

I like Bonaventure Cemetary. There is a good art museum. Walking on the beach near the light house is nice.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 08:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Savannah is interesting to visit but Charleston is a must see.