Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

September in New Orleans or Maine or ... ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have the delightful "problem" of being in possession of two Southwest airline r/t tickets that must be used this calendar year. They are good for anywhere in the contiguous 48 states that SWA flies.

My birthday is in late September, and we are considering taking a short trip then to use the tickets. Probably will be able to take five or six days tops. Our dilemma is ~ where to go?

New Orleans? We have been there once before in spring and loved it. Not sure what the weather would be like in late September. I think it could be a great place to celebrate a birthday.

Our other thought was Maine ... have never been there, but not sure our time frame would allow for much exploration. We would fly into Boston, spend a day there and then rent a car and head north for a few days of sightseeing.

We are flying from California - San Jose or San Francisco - so we know we would be spending a fair amount of time en route with either of these destinations, but we have been to most of the west coast destinations (Seattle, Portland, L.A., Las Vegas, etc.) and want to be somewhere else for this trip.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Pluses or minuses to our thoughts?
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Late September is fine for either.

If you decide on Maine, SW flys to Manchester - much less driving( though still quite a bit). Stay in Camden of somewhelse Mid-coast to have access to Bar Harbor (a must) as well as the mid coast towns and even the southern coast towns. You'll have no trouble filling 5 or 6 days. You will, of course, need a car for your stay there. It will be just past high season so lodging should be discounted.

In New Orleans you don't need or want car which should allow you to get a nice hotel in the French Quarter.

Sorry I can't be more decisive - EITHER would be great 5-6 day getaway that time of year!
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Given this choice, I would go to New Orleans.

The Northwest is beautiful is September. Have you been to the Oregon Coast, Seattle, etc.?

HTTY
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM

I would also do the math on how much time it us from your house to your hotel (NO) or house/apt (ME) as well as TOTAL cost (car, gas, entrance fees, taxis, restauants, groceries, etc.
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:30 AM

If you havn't been before, another thought is a week in Boston.
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Between your 2 I would do Maine. IMHO in Sept NO is still very hot and sticky - at least too hot for me.
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Based on the time you have available, Nola seems like a much better choice.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not both? Fly to Boston. Drive up the coast to Bar Harbor.
When you come back to Boston, take Jet Blue flight 401 to New Orleans non-stop 3.6 hours. See what you missed in NOLA and fly back on your other SW tickets. The Jet Blue ticket is only $135 per person on Expedia. I'm hoping NOLA is smelling better by late September after the spring flood.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM

With "5 or 6 days TOPS", I would be discouraged from most east coast destinations.

Have you ever seen the Canadian Rockies? A fly-n-drive centered on Spokane, Washington could be suitable to your situation.

From Spokane to Jasper, Alberta it is 500 miles... and you'd have Banff, Calgary, Edmonton, and Glacier National Park (in Montana) in the reasonable vicinity.

In late September you can feel some of the chill in the air up there, and it's an area that isn't so much on the way to anywhere else, so if you haven't ever been to the region, you could cross it off your list and not spend tooooo terribly much time traveling by plane.

Had there been just a bit more time, I'd have voted for flying to Maine and then driving perhaps all the way to Nova Scotia. (but your 5 or 6 days renders that mostly pointless)

Just a thought.