What's outside of New Orleans?

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's outside of New Orleans?

We're thinking of going to New Orleans in early April for 1 week. We'll probably spend 3 days in New Orleans and visit a close by plantation. Where else could we go outside of New Orleans for the remaining time? We'll rent a car and do a road trip. I've heard of Cajun Country,, but where is that exactly and what to do there? Spring flowers must be blooming at that time, so any good places to see?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Here are a couple sites with good information you might be interested in - the second one is a free booklet you can order and start dreaming with:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...020023224.html

http://www.louisianatravel.com/guide-order
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM

A couple years ago my husband and I did a similar trip - split our time between New Orleans and Cajun Country. We had a great time. Cajun country has lots of small towns, swamps, some plantations, great food, etc. Here is a link to my trip report so you can see what we did while we were there.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm

The one thing I might have changed was where we stayed - the Cajun Country Cottages, which we liked a lot, but they were a ways outside of town. It worked out well for us since we were interested in spending some time just hanging out, relaxing, but it did mean more driving. I think were I to do it again, I would choose someplace closer to New Iberia since that is were we ended up spending most of our time.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Good suggestions above.

Depending on your interests, you could easily take up your whole week just seeing the sights in New Orleans, as there's plenty there. And one could very easily spend at least two days visiting plantations between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, but it's wise to use a car to do this. Even Baton Rouge itself can keep one occupied for about a day -- the capitol building there is a stunner.

I'd say research your sightseeing options and plan accordingly.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM

See my report on "Louisiana: visiting Lafayette & New Orleans"
posted late last year. We had a week in NOLA after a week in Lafayette and of course there is much to see and do in both. Yes, also plantations nearby along the Mississippi...the one we visited was Houmas House.

Anyway, New Orleans has many things to see and do of course. We liked the jazz groups on the street and in clubs. And there are the dining opportunities. Lafayette is the center of Cajun country and here you'll find a culinatry treat. Also note several places where you have a dance floor along with food...Randols and Mulates. But in addition if time permits you can stop off here and there along Rt. 182 towards New Iberia and off I-10 at Breaux.

Ozarksbill
[email protected]
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the great suggestions!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Cajun country is about 3 hours from New Orleans - west on I-10 to Baton Rouge and on to Lafayette. I just visited Houmas House which has been revamped. There is an excellent restaurant for lunch on the grounds. I also recommend Oak Alley or Nottoway plantations. The capital building in Baton Rouge is interesting and there are several state museums nearby that are worth a look.
Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, St. Martinsville and Franklin have some interesting sights and great food. Avery Island near New Iberia is home of Tabasco and the Jungle Gardens and Shadows on the Teche, another plantation house.
My family says its a little cooler than usual, but many things will be in bloom by April.