Traverse City Accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son lives in Traverse City, MI and is getting married there in August of 2007. I would like some feedback on the better hotels and motels there. I definitely will need AC and it would be nice if a room has a fridge and microwave. I know it will be one of the more expensive times of the year to stay there, and want to get in my reservations ASAP. Any help from those familiar with the area would be appreciated.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I like the Sugar Beach/Grand Beach complex. They are sister properties on the east bay. They have a wonderful breakfast included in the price. At both places I have had rooms with microwave and refrigerator. The frig is a frig not a mini-bar. Both places have great amenities on the beach and groom the beach each morning. Most places in TC have A/C, can't think of anyplace that doesn't.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:10 AM

We like the Beach Condominiums in Traverse City. These are 30 condos right on Grand Traverse Bay. Approximately 750 square feet with a full kitchen, living room, one bedroom with a huge bathroom (including Jacuzzi tub). If my son were getting married in Traverse City, this is where I would stay. I think the website is beachcondohotel.com, but if it doesn't come up do a Google search.

We've been going here for years and I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:12 AM

The website I gave you is correct. It is beachcondohotel.com

By the way - congratulations on your son's upcoming wedding.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 06:29 AM
ltt

i stayed at sugar beach last year and loved it.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
We really liked the Bayshore: http://www.bayshore-resort.com/ I also suggest checking out the TC reviews on Trip Advisor.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM

Had my wedding reception in Traverse City last year. Bayshore Resort is nice, and Grand Traverse Resort is awesome, but it is located in Acme (a bit of a drive). Cherry Tree Inn and Suites looks nice too, but I've never stayed there. You'll have to double check the amenities, because I think that depends on what type of room you reserve.

More economical options include The Holiday Inn or Hamption Inn....not sure if they have a fridge or microwave though.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:01 AM

Whatever you do, skip the Best Western on Munson Ave. - I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Sugar Beach is nice though.

How long will you be there? Would you consider staying in a private rental? If so, there are plenty of places in the area on VRBO.com.

I've also stayed at the Sunrise Landing south of Northport recently. (sunriselanding.com) It's probably about a half an hour away from TC, but it's a very cool place. It's overlooking the bay and offers a huge yard filled with lawn chairs, picnic tables, colorful flowers & lawn ornaments. Most of the rooms have a kitchen and ours was very comfortable. The rates are reasonable too.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Do you need a block of rooms for guests? If so, the convention and visitors bureau can help. There are a lot of really nice places here in TC, but August is a pricey time of year. On the water, expect to pay $170.00 without a view and more of course with a view of the bay.

If you are looking for just a room for yourself, the reservations service at the CVB can book rooms and the rates are exactly the same as if you called around on your own.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Hey Rapunzil - do you live up there? Your screen name reminded me of the fake Rapunzil in the tower on the way to Lake Leelanau from the north - do you know what I'm talking about?
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Regarding the block of rooms......my reception was at the Hagerty Center on the Bay. It was within walking distance of the Holiday Inn and Bayshore Resort.....so we blocked off rooms there. Both hotels were also on the water and offered 2 different price ranges. Those two hotels are where most my guests stayed. We also had rooms blocked off at Hampton Inn and The Days Inn because they were close to the reception, but not on the water. I would look into where the reception is being held before you book, so you can get something close and convenient.
My cousin had his wedding at The Grand Traverse Resort. So, his mother and most of their guests stayed there.....they either got a room at Grand Traverse or rented a condo there.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:38 AM

traveladdict, yes I live here, but I don't know what rapunzel you're talking about. Tell me, I'd love to know!

Regarding blocking rooms for weddings or other events, the CVB can be very helpful and there is no charge to use their services.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Hi Rapunzil, I wish I could tell you more about the Rapunzil we spotted but I don't even know what road it was on. My friend was driving and we had been doing some wine tastings prior. (Gosh, maybe I imagined it?!)

It was on a road somewhere near Lake Leelanau and we were on our way to Chateau Fontaine. Anyhow, out of the blue, we spot two castle-like towers on the side of the road, and out of one of them was fake Rapunzel with long hair hanging down. We both looked at each other, as if to ask if we both just saw what we thought we saw, then turned around, and sure enough, that's what it was. It appeared to be on private property and there were no signs anywhere saying what it was there for. Maybe a bored farmer with creativity put it up? I'm going back up in a few weeks so I'll try to find it again. It was strange, and I keep wondering why it was there.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM

I used to go to church with a woman who was building a home that was sort of like a castle. I wonder if it was her place you saw. I'll look into it.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Rapunzil, we didn't see the house - figured it must have been set way back. The property was all fenced in and fairly large. These towers were probably only 10-15 feet in diameter and about 30-50 feet tall. Let me know if you find out anything. You can e-mail at heidi623 at gmail dot com. Thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Just in case anyone thinks I'm nuts for seeing a Rapunzel in a castle on the side of the road, the Fodorite Rapunzil found this link:

http://www.traversemagazine.com/dest...go=0304leegolf

Apparently, it's on a now-closed golf course called Veronica Valley. Whew! For a while there, I was starting to think maybe I DID drink too much wine that day!! Thanks Rapunzil for e-mailing me that! 
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:47 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
OP, are you still reading............