Traverse Bay during Cherry Festival

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

making late plans- has anyone stayed at the Sands Motel or PointeNorth or Pinewood- that's the only beachfront places with rooms
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

oops- I think it's Pinestead
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:25 AM

It's been many years since I've stayed at the Pinestead Reef, but we were in Traverse City over Memorial Day weekend. I think Pinestead is a good choice. The location is great - right on the Bay. Beach front. Seems to be very popular in Traverse City. Pointe North is also in a good location. I haven't stayed, but saw a room once. Seemed a little dark to me.

We always stay at The Beach Condominiums. 30 one bedroom condos on Grand Traverse Bay. Light and bright - full kitchen, beach, etc. Have you checked availability at the Beach? I believe the website is beachcondohotel.com

I can highly recommend as we have been staying at the Beach for many years.

Good luck and have fun in Traverse City. One our of favorites.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM

The Sands Motel is clean and tidy, nice beach not a bad location, kitty corner across from the state park campground, but the rooms are a bit on the small side. Of course, you probably aren't going to spend a lot of time in your room anyway.

The Pinestead tends not to have availability real often in the summer, so it might be smart to snap that up. I know earlier today, they had a one bedroom for Fri and Sat 6/30 & 7/01 They are directly across from the state park campground. They are also much more expensive, but then you get a kitchen and an indoor pool.

If you need help call Central Reservations at 800-872-8377 M-F 9am-5pm EDT. There's a promotion going on right now that if you stay at least four nights at a participating property, and book through the CVB (# above) you get a $25.00 Speedway gas card at the end of your stay. Just bring in your bill to the visitors center and if your name is on the list (you have to meet the above requirements), you get it.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM

I just realized that I never mentioned the Pointes North Inn. It's a nice place, most of their rooms have jacuzzi tubs and views. They added some rooms that have 2 doubles or two queens as opposed to a king or queen with a qsb. The water level is slightly lower on the end where they are, but not the worst by any means. It's a nice place. It's especially popular for anniversaries, Valentines Day and romantic get-aways.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

rapunzil- am I going to have plenty of daylight to drive over to Leland after the Blue Angels on July1st? That will be the only day we could possibly go unless we get to Sands in time to go on June 30
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Yes, the Blue Angels end around 3pm. With traffic you should be able to be out of the area no later than 4. Are you going to Sleeping Bear too? Leland is a nice little town, but if you haven't been to the national lakeshore, I think I'd stop there first.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

yes, plan to drive to Suttons Bay, Northport(?), Leland and Sleeping Bear taking the ?Stocking Drive then back to Traverse City
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Make sure you go north of Northport to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse. It's worth the extra 9 miles from Northport. It sits at the very tip of the Leelanau Peninsula and has a museum, gift shop and beautiful grounds.