Search

traveling to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traveling to Italy

Going to Italy with my daughter Arpril, 2015 with EFtours. Was wondering if we needed heavy coats or jackets and sweaters. Any suggestions?
Also, what size luggage would be best? I was thinking a 28" would hold clothes and have room for souveniers. Don't know airline yet, so don't know size restrictions. Would it be safe to get a 28"?
Any advice for trip would be greatly appreciated! This will be our first trip to Europe. We are clueless! Thankfully, we will have a tour guide 24/7, but I know there are little things we could do to make our trip easier. You know, inside tips that you wished you'd known before you went?!?!
thanks
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 04:06 PM

You should repost this question on the European Forum - this is the US forum. Use the "Change Forum" link at the top of this page!
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Unless they'e moved all those states you need advice - and a lot of it - on the europe forum.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 05:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Please don't get 28 inch suitcases!!! They would weigh a TON.

Why do you think you'd need anything that large? A 21 inch carry on or a 24 inch checked bag will be plenty large enough.

But do re-post on the Europe forum. You also might want to put EF in the new thread title. A lot of Fodorites know a lot about EF.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:44 PM

we used a 25" plus a back pack and it worked fine but we did do laundry. Not one to wash socks out in the sink and have them take 3 days to dry so find a laundry in a town you are staying in and either do it yourself or send it out. If you feel comfortable with 28" take it but hopefully it is one of the newer lighter weight suitcases. No problem checking a 28-29" suitcase It is the carry on that has the most restrictions. Do repost in Europe. I suggest you buy one of those fold up into itself travel cases that fits in your luggage until you fill it with dirty clothes or souvenirs. You could use that as your carry on on the way home.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:06 PM

I have never ever had socks or anything else (except maybe jeans) take more than over night to dry. On an EF tour one won't likely have the opportunity to send laundry out or go to a landerette.

Even IF it is a light weight 28 inch suitcase, it will weigh a LOT filled -- and you'll very likely be charged for overweight. Why would anyone need that much 'stuff'?
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:59 PM

How long is the trip?bthat predicates how much you need to take and size of luggage.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 11:10 PM

Not really -- I take the same (small) sized suitcase for 4 days, a week or a month.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 11:34 PM

Me too, but I'd imagine being new travelers (as the OP must be) and on a tour as well, I doubt they are going to be able to deal with the reality of trying to do laundry while on what must be a very tight schedule as you mention. I have a wardrobe that easily packs light, mixes and matches and dries easily overnight. Not everyone does or wants to do laundry. And I think "most" people overpack. We also tend not to bring back hordes or souvenirs.

On our current trip (3 months) we did switch one 21 inch carry-on for a 25" bag but only because we were starting with summer temps and ending in Dec in Paris, so needed winter wear.

As always, YMMV....
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 04:19 AM

Agree that 28" is over the top unless you need multiple wardrobes. (I typically do combo business and vacation travel - which is 2 totally different wardrobes - business requiring suits and pumps - for a 2 week trip and fit it all in a 25" suitcase - 26" in winter when you need sweaters and boots.

I suspect that since the OP seems to be a new traveler - and on a tour - they think they won;t have to ouch the luggage. The tour does deal with it during the tour but the op has to manage it through the airports and out through customs - and pulling a very heavy bag off a carousel can be a major PIA. I was almost knocked over by a petite young woman with a huge bag - who managed to pick it up but couldn;t control it and fell backwards into me - still holding the suitcase. I managed to swerve - and then she landed on the ground - hard.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 05:15 AM

You asked for tips. Figure out what, if anything, you will do about cell phone and internet while away - call you carrier as there are multiple options.

Notify your credit card company you are traveling internationally. You might want to get $50-100 worth of euros before you go - it is nice to have local currency when you land.

Simplify your wardrobe and bring less stuff. Try something like black pants with assorted tops. You will be happy not to have to haul that much luggage thru airports and in hotels.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 06:03 AM

1) certainly re-post on the European board.

2) you will be with a group - is this a bus tour where they offer luggage service where you just put your suitcase outside the door, and it will be delivered to your room at the next hotel? In this case 28" is fine. If you will have to handle the luggage yourself, cut down to 22" if possible.

3) to make room for souvenirs bring older clothes that are hanging in your closet and toss on the last day. Also bring soft tote or backpack that you will fill with your clothes and check in going home, and put the souvenirs (except liquids) in the 22" that you can carry on.

4) how long is the trip? If 2 weeks or less, bring 2 bottoms (2 pairs of pants) and tops that go with both bottoms. 2 pairs of comfy shoes. Do not over-pack.

5) is there a website for EFtours with forums like on Fodor's where travelers exchange information and post reviews? Every tour may be a little different.

6) don't count on doing laundry. You will be in Italy, who wants to spend time staring at the washer/dryer while the group is off to wine tasting?