Your Favorite Carry-on Luggage

Old May 10th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Favorite Carry-on Luggage

Posting this on Europe and Asia) My very old Samsonite carry-on bag, a simple but serviceable basic box suitcase, is finally frayed and needing replacement. Any suggestions for a high quality, "roomy" (relative term, I know), functional wheeled carry-on bag? It doesn't have to be cheap, but good value is always sought. The Tumi bags are pretty, but very expensive, and I am not sure they are worth the premium (having never had one). Thanks for any advice.
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:18 PM

I have a "Madarina Duck" carry on carry on which conform to the airline's carry on specification. It is also the most versatile / practical carry on that I have ever own.

Check out the link: http://www.mandarinaduck.com/english/frog.html

Old May 11th, 2003, 03:34 AM

I always manage to pack absolutely everything I need into a small bag. I am amazed when people board with these huge cases and bags, what on earth is in them??
I manage toileteries, couple of books, spare underwear, thin slacks and a baggy t-shirt plus pen/paper/crossword,this and that, candies, aspirin, mouthwash and it is still very small, so easy taking though security, carrying, stowage etc and it just throws over my shoulder.
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Margoross, I can't show up at business meetings in a baggy t-shirt, but am glad that works for you. My running shoes also take up an unfortunate amount of space.
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:42 AM

If you need to take that much stuff, why can't you just check it in? There was a great thread about this subject on the Europe forum a couple of days ago.
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Xenos, I have looked on this and the Europe boards and although there are threads about carry-on, they do not address what I am asking. Which is simply what kind (i.e. brands) of carry-on bags that people have that they like and think are good bags and good value. I have to buy a new one. (Thanks to Hanuman; never heard of Madarina Duck in all these years of travelling, but loved the website and the luggage looks great.)

Issues of whether to carry on or check luggage, and advice about packing are not what I am asking in this thread.
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Sorry, just trying to be helpful. After all you were the one that actually raised the subject of what you needed to pack and how much space it takes. (Not to mention the sarcastic reply about being glad that a baggy T-shirt worked for Margoross.)
Old May 11th, 2003, 12:42 PM

mstraveler-Why do you find it necessary to be so rude?!
You did not state that you were rushing off to a business meeting. I suggest you pack such clothing in your baggage.
Why do you need running shoes on a plane? or was that just sarcasm.

Some people just can't be helped.
Old May 11th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, No offense or rudeness intended.
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I don't think MSTRAVELER was being rude or sarcastic at all. Many business travellers don't like to check their luggage because it is time consuming and are afraid of loss. Everyone has different needs when they are flying. That was the point MSTRAVELER was making.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Cabin carry on should be a minimum, the overhead bins get packed with large items which leave no space for anyone else and that is not fair. I cannot believe airlines permit so large wheeled items which cause a nuisance to other passengers. Baggage loss is rare.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:52 AM

mstraveler, one of my sons swears by his soft sided Samsonite wheeled carry-on. He will take it, plus his Samsonite garment bag, for a week away on business. I have seen his size 10 'sneakers' packed in their place, in the garment bag.
Maybe you could just 'update' your old carry on brand. ??
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:04 AM
sandi

I've given up the 20-22" rollaboards as my carryon. Instead I've been using what the kids take to school, the rolling backpacks that come in three sizes. Use the medium one which meets airline specifics and manage to get change of clothing makeup hairblower film cameras etc and manage to keep the weight down. They're durable and very inexpensive, maybe $25 for medium, while large is about $32. Check them out.

Old May 27th, 2003, 03:50 PM

My favourite 'carry-on luggage' is the largest size 'hunting jacket' from Tilley clothing.

It has 32-pockets, including two large ones on the back-panel that are of sufficient size to carry two laptop computers and a portable, compact inkjet printer.

On one occasion I had over 80 pounds of my goodies in it and required assistance in standing up!

Only been challenged once, by some dummy from Air Canada at London Heathrow, but she opted for letting the aircraft depart on time rather than delaying same to find my checked baggage.

Here's a vote for PAX/baggage linking.

///