Travel time Arches to GC via Monument Valley and 4 corners

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! We are currently at Arches for 1 more night. My plan was to then drive to GC (we are staying at KOA in williams) but hit 4 corners and Monument Valley on the way. Is this doable? We drove to arches from Bryce yesterday and what was supposed to take us 4 hours ended up being 5.5 driving the 32 ft RV through up and around mountains. I really wanted to take the kids to 4 corners. Tell me what to do!
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 10:36 AM

It's 7.5 hours minimum drive time from Moab to Four Corners, Monument Valley and then Williams. Include extra time for the RV and stops, and you're looking at at least 10 hours, probably more like 12.

Are you actually going to Grand Canyon on the way? Because then it just becomes ridiculous. Williams is not a good place to stay to visit the Grand Canyon, try to find a last minute RV site inside Grand Canyon. Skip Four Corners, it is really not that interesting.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

We are taking the Grand Canyon Railway into the GC and that starts in Williams. Ok- skipping the 4 corners and going straight to Williams then!
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 07:11 PM

I thought that 4 corners would be so much cooler. Took the kids. Not so much. With the drive you have ahead of you, I would skip it.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 03:34 AM
J62

"We are taking the Grand Canyon Railway into the GC and that starts in Williams"

I think perhaps you've been duped.... The GC Railway does not go into the GC at all. It's a 2+ hr ride through the high desert/forests of norther AZ. The end point is GC Village - the same place you can drive to in half the time. From there, it's a short walk to the South Rim, overlooking the GC. Four hours later the train departs back to Williams. So in my book, 4.5hrs train ride to spend a total of 4 hrs at the GC is not a good value. The best times at the GC are mornings & evenings, before/after the crowds are there and when the sun is lower in the sky for those spectacular views you see in the glossy brochures.

If you have already purchased your train tickets, then enjoy. If you have not, then heed the advice above and seek an RV spot IN the park.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 09:10 AM

Have you consider NORTH Rim Grand Canyon
Same hole, but on the north side that is about 1,000 feet higher
Consider you route and driving times to make a choice

Vaga