Moab to Grand Canyon South Rim - I need a stop

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of our June summer trip we will be leaving Moab in an RV and traveling to Grand Canyon South Rim. We are going with our 2 boys ages 8 and 10.

We plan to stop tour an area and then stop somewhere for the night. I need help figuring what to do!!!

What do you think of one of these:
- Monument Valley (stay there or go to Kayenta or Tuba City to sleep)
- Lake Powell (it is so big, where should we go there? Dam??
- Antelope Canyons / Page - can we see anything if we only have a few hours
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM

From your other post you said you wanted hook ups.

Monument Valley is an excellent choice, but being in the RV you will probably want to take a tour and not drive the RV on the dirt roads. Goulding's Monument Valley Resort & RV park. They are in a beautiful setting with some views of Monument Valley and a very nice indoor swimming pool. I don't know of any RV parks in Kayenta and my Trailer Life Campground guide says there is one RV park in Tuba City, but we haven't stayed there.

Page, AZ is another excellent choice. There is a full hook up RV campground at Glen Canyon National Recreational Area, (Lake Powell) called Wahweap RV Campground. I would suggest making reservations in the summer. You will see Lake Powell from the campground. This is also the best location to view Lake Powell from land.

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...lakepowell.htm

The Upper Antelope Slots Canyon tour only takes 1 1/2 hours and is only 5 miles from Page. The dam is near the campground too.

Utahtea

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:43 PM

If you had half a day on the day you leave Page to go to the Grand Canyon you might treat the boys to the 1/2 day float trip on the Colorado River. The first float leaves at 7:00 A.M. and gets back about 1:30 P.M. This is a lot of fun for all ages!

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...2003/float.htm

Utahtea
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I always feel so honored to get your opinion utahtea! After some more research, we decided that we need electric hookup but can mostly do without water and sewer hookup.

Now my biggest decision is to decide between Page/Lake Powell/Antelope Canyons or Monument Valley.

I would love to add a day and do both but I don't think I could. How should I decide????
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

OK, if it were me, if I could squeeze in the float trip, I'd do Page. If not, then I'd do Monument Valley.

Even if you decide on Page, AZ you will pass right by Monument Valley. You can't miss it from the highway!!!!

Utahtea