Transportation to SBC Park in San Francisco While Staying at Columbus Motor Inn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be attending a night game (Tuesday). We are staying with car at the Columbus Motor Inn. Would it be best to just drive to the park (and pay their parking fees) or take public transportation? I've done some research and it seems that a taxi may be hard to come by (or at least a very long wait). I looked at the muni map but I couldn't figure out a route. While we don't mind a good walk, after a full day exploring the city and probably walking to the park, we may be too exhausted to hike back to the hotel. Also, half of the "we" is my 77 year old (healthy) mom. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm thinking that if we drove, we could have small blankets and heavy jackets in the trunk of the car. By the way, the date of the game is June 15th.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:34 AM
bk3

the map may have been confusing but I believe there are a lot of public transport options. Check out the excellent transit trip planner at http://www.sfmuni.com/routes/tripplan.htm for door to door instructions.

I wanted to catch a game on my recent trip but never made it. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:55 AM

It's quite a walk to the park from the parking lots anyway, so I would take public transportation.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:31 AM
Kal

Trav-If you take your car, drive down Bay or NorthPointe to Embarcdero then follow the signs. Leave early and take in the pre-game hustle bustle around the park...or eat dinner at one of the nice restaurants.
You can park about 3-4 blocks south of the park...you can also drop Mom and other off at the park when you drive by and go park yourself.

A taxi ride will prob cost around $10-20, 1-way for your party.

Very nice walk but possibly too far for a 77yr old. You can walk over to FWharf and pick up a street car that will take you right there too.

This is why we like to stay at Harbor Court or the Hyatt when we get tics. About a 10 min BEAUTIFUL walk to the park.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:53 AM

J-Correa is correct that there is quite a walk from the public parking lots to the stadium itself. The Lot B price for parking last year was $18. It's not worth it to pay the higher rate for Lot A, as you will not be that much closer.

Several times last year, when we were in a hurry, we also parked directly across from the ballpark entrance. It's a hotel or restaurant of some sort and it's underground, valet parking at $20 (last year's rates). I highly recommend this parking for you. It's on King Street. I have to go into SF this week and, if I can remember (always chancy! lo!), I'll drive by there and give you more precise directions and names later.

I would suggest that you arrive at least a couple of hours before start of game, park the car, have dinner in one of the fine restaurants that are springing right around the ballpark entrance, and then enter the park.

Unless you have seats at the lower levels, it's quite a hike up to the higher seats. There is a long, long escalator to the top levels and it'll take you awhile to get to the escalator. The higher levels may take a bit more effort to get to, but the VIEW - wonderful!

There are also shorter escalators to the club level.

At one end, there is an elevator.

Hope this helps a bit!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:20 AM

I'm not sure where the inn is... can you check the website if line 30 runs close? If yes, you can take it to the park. If you're close to Van Ness you can take #47 or #49 to Market (take a free transfer from the driver), go down to metro, take line N to the park.

where is the inn, which bus lines are close?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have replied. And yes Patrick, I was considering bidding on Priceline for the Embarcadero area just for that reason. BUT, I like the idea of staying at the Columbus Motor Inn not only for the free parking but the neighborhood as well. My mom will be flying in from Sarasota, FL and we'll have three days in the city. We've done the city before so this time it's the "what we'll do next time" plan. That includes a walking tour of Chinatown, drive to Muir Woods and Marin Headlands, s stop in Sausalito and of course the Giant's game. I'll digest all the transportation info to the park. Again, thank you. PS I'm blessed that I can still do things with mom. I do pray I'm "off and running" like she is when I'm 77!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM

Tray,
There are a couple of public transit options for you- take the Mason line cable car to Powell street and transfer to the Muni underground N line inbound. This will take you directly to the park.
On the way home, take the N to Embarcadero station, go to steet level and catch a cab at the Hyatt Regency- there is usually a line of them there.
Or: go to Fisherman's wharf and catch the F line(neat old street cars) to the Muni Embarcadero stn and pick up the N there. If you wanted to walk from the Embarcadero Stn it would take 30 minutes at a brisk pace to get to the ballpark. It is a nice walk though along the bay.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Opps. Thank you Kal. I don't know how I got Patrick involed in this!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Kal

No problem, Trav.

Patrick and I are so tall, dark and handsome we're often confused.
Patrick: 8-)
Kal :

See?

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:15 PM

Of all the options mentioned, I would personally choose a cab. Depending on when you (and 20,000 others) leave the game, it could get busy right after the last out, but you could go to one of the nearby bars for a night-cap or coffee while it thins out. If it's a problem, they could even help get a cab for you.

Considering it's a Tuesday night, I don't believe a lingering crowd will be a problem.

Bring the Giants some luck -- they need it!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:18 PM

Of all the options mentioned, I would personally choose a cab. Depending on when you (and 20,000 others) leave the game, it could get busy right after the last out, but you could go to one of the nearby bars for a night-cap or coffee while it thins out. If it's a problem, they could even help get a cab for you.

Considering it's a Tuesday night, I don't believe a lingering crowd will be a problem.

Please bring the Giants some luck -- they need it!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:53 PM

I assume you are talking about Pac Bell Park. If possible, I would definitely take a taxi, or at least drop your mom off at the gate and go park the car. Our family went to a game last year around June 7 or 8. We most definitely needed jackets -- it got pretty darn cool before the game was over. We took a street car down the Embarcadero, until the driver told us we were "as close as we were going to get" to the park. Then, we got off and walked the rest of the way. It was about a 15-minute brisk walk. By the time we got to the park, walked up the ramps and half-way around the stadium to our seats, we had missed the first inning and half of the second (for which my older son will probably never forgive me). At least we got to see Barry Bonds hit a home run while we were making it to our seats.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:05 PM
SAB

Don't know what streetcar you were on dwood but the N Judah and special shuttle streetcars stop right in front of SBC formerly and should be know as PacBell. The F streetcar which services Fisherman's Wharf does no run to the ballpark you have to transfer at the Embarcadero or walk about a block to Folsom Street were the N comes about ground. Taking a cab to the park may be fine but getting one back is no piece of cake.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:50 PM

OK, here's the parking info that I promised you, should you decide to drive to SBC Park.

The garage I was talking about that is on King Street and directly across from the entrance of SBC Park is a condo/apartment complex known as "The Towers at Embarcadero South". 415-371-8800. www.SFTowers.com.

Today, it appeared closed up tighter than a drum and only residents were allowed into the garage with special passes. So, I believe, that it operates as a "public" garage only on game days and only if there are available spaces.

An alternative: One street behind King Street is Townsend. There is a public parking lot on Townsend, between 2nd and 3rd. The sign said $10 for all day parking. This will place you about a block away from the stadium entrance.

My suggestion is that, before game day and if you have the time, drive by Townsend and see if that public parking lot would work for you. Otherwise, take public transportation.

BTW, both parking locations will place at the entrance closest to the elevator.

Good luck! And enjoy the Giants! Go Giants!

Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you easytraveler. I appreciate your effort. I will do the drive by.