Things to do in Palm Springs Area...besides the pool

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been going to Palm Springs for 21 years and all we ever do is lay by the pool, eat, and play some golf. While it is a very relaxing a fun vacation (obviously since we have done it over and over again for 21 years ) we would like to add some new things to the agenda. We will be there over Memorial Day weekend and have wheels. Any suggestions???
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joshua Tree National Park! And stop at a date farm for a date shake.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM

Was there last week and on a lark and totally unprepared we went on the tram. It was amazing. It was 90 degrees in PS and it was in the 60s at the top including spots of snow. The tram ride was a total hoot as the kids scream at every tower when the tram swings a little. The tram floor also rotates so you get to see all of the view. I would have worn at least athletic shoes and taken a little day pack with water and snacks and I would have hiked around to see more of the area. Lots of trails to explore. Great views.

I would also try to take a look at the indian canyons that are beautiful. Here's more info: http://www.indian-canyons.com/ One that has only opened recently is Taquitz Canyon.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:08 AM

The Indian Canyons are a great suggestion at this time of year. there is water flowing in the creeks and waterfalls at different locations.

Tahquitz Canyon is a guided tour only with a tribal ranger. However, it is still interesting. You learn about the malevolent Native American spirit and how he dwells in the canyon and why even today the local Agua Caliente are reluctant to venture into the canyon. My personal favorite hikes though are Murray and Andreas Canyons. The Maynard Mine trail is a good hike, moderate to strenuous.

Other ideas:

- hot air balloon rides
- vintage ariplane ride in either a WWII T-6 aerobatic trainer, or an open cockpit biplane
- desert jeep tour of the San Andreas fault
- Knott's Soak City water park
- Living Desert preserve
- PS Air Museum
- Horseback ride at Smoketree stables
- Joshua Tree was a good suggestion
- Shields Date Gardens, corner of Jefferson and Hwy 111 in Indio. Time warp to the late 50's/early 60's---date shakes and the film "Romance and Sex Life of the Date"---so bad it's good.

Enjoy.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Well, shopping is good. You have the River with about 20 movie screens and a Borders and lots of eating places, the Gardens at El Paseo, nice place to browse, and the mall, but that is kind of not special. About 45 min West on 10 is the Cabazon Outlets. Pretty nice Outlet shopping if you like that sort of thing.

Also there is an Imax kind of theater there on the 111. You could drive up to Idlewield on day and go up into the cool mountains and explore.

That is about it that I can think of.