Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cheap lodging for three students, accessible to Giants stadium

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and two of his guy friends will drive to San Francisco from their school in L.A. this coming Friday. They are attending a special event at the Giants stadium on Saturday. So they need a (very inexpensive) room for Friday and Saturday nights, with free parking.

They are 20 years old. The Travelodge Airport-North has a double room for 3, for a total of $136 for the two nights. The guys are old enough to check in there, as the hotel's requirement is just 18. (We're not concerned about its rating per se, just the location and that it's safe.)

Would that location be ok for going to the Giants stadium and back on Saturday? It's at 326 S. Airport Blvd.

Or any other suggestions? Are there hostels to consider?

(Please do NOT suggest the guys find their own lodging, or that I should not be helping them. I have the time, and I offered to investigate prices for them.)

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM

You may want to repost this stating that they are going to Candlestick Park. Giants Stadium is in New Jersey!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Correcting myself: the Giants stadium in SF is AT&T Park. The 49ers stadium is Candlestick Park.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to clarify - the Giants play in central San Francisco at AT&T park - it is not near the airport/travelodge.

The niners play at Candlestick which IS near the airport/travelodge.

So which is it?

If you mean AT&T - there won't be anything cheap or w/ parking close by. In the city most hotels charge $30 - $50 a day to park.

So they might actually be better off taking the travelodge/free parking and using BART to get into the city.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM
dmlove

There is nothing cheap and decent in SF. the Trvelodge is fine, it's about a 15 min. drive from the stadium (sans traffic - it will take longer on a Friday night). The problem is that once in the city, long-term street parking is hard to come by. There are plenty of lots near ATandT, but their rates change depending on the popularity of the event - can be anywhere from $50 (Giants v Dodgers during a pennant race) to $10 when nothing is going on.

It is a VERY easy drive from the park to the hotel.

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
dmlove

FWIW, it's only a few miles, maybe 5 (straight shot on the freeway) from Candlestick to ATandT.

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I do mean AT&T park. So if it's a very easy drive, that's good.

The guys have press passes for the event, so they might have parking passes, too, but I'll remind them of that point.

Problem now is that Travelodge says their minimum age policy is 21, not 18 as the Expedia site said.

So, that's a problem.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM

When I was 20, the last place I would want to spend 2 nights would be outside of SF near the airport. Stay in the City. There are plenty of hotels on Lombard St with free parking, and Lombard is 1 block from Chestnut St $ 3 blocks from Union St which are areas that are loaded with other 20 year olds on weekends. Driving to AT&T is a snap from there.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
dmlove

Well, they're 20, not 21 , so I'm not sure I agree that Union/Chestnut is so great for them. Also, are there motels out there with free parking for $136 for 3 people for 2 nights?

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM

There always seem to be a lot of college kids on Chestnut Sat night - and most of them (college kids) are in the 19 to 21 range. 20 YOs won't get into bars - but most of the places there are restaurants with bars, where they will be welcome. I bet they would only get carded sitting at a bar in a restaurant if they order an alcohol drink. Bus Stop on Union would be out, but Balboa Cafe is OK.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I think they would have trouble finding any double for 2 nights in the City for $136 total. PeaceOut asked for "Cheap lodging" - I don't know if $136 is the upper limit or just the current "cheapest" that he/she has found, so far. However, they can't stay there because of their age, so $136 is irrelevant.

I still would try real hard to stay in The City near Union/Chestnut or North Beach.

Near the airport is BORING.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Stu: There are three of them - they have a car - and are under 21. It will be hard for them find anything appropriate and cheap inside SF. The Travelodge or other motels along 101/Bayshore are probably their best bet.

Since they driving up Friday night for an event on Sat, and most likely driving back on Sunday - my guess they aren't spending much time/money sightseeing or fine dining.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

I think their age and their budget are the limiting factors. The airport location is the right price, but I don't know if they can count on getting a room. The sites like Expedia, hotels.com and Orbitz all say the hotel has an 18 age limit, but the hotel itself says it's 21. Paying in advance on those sites would be a big gamble when the guys show up to check in.

Since they have press passes for the special day-long event, which includes concerts, they won't be interested or able to do any sightseeing in the city.

Maybe hostels?
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
columbus Motor Inn or Chelsea Motor Inn. Parking is included in the rates even though they are in such a great location.
not sure about the 18/21 thing
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM

I thought NJ, as well. But, as it's clear it is SF, have they thought about youth hostel?

I was ion SF last week and stayed downtown near Market and 3rd. But, I found it very easy to meet my BIL for dinner near his aparment in the Upper Market area as I just took the "F" Market cable car straight up.

I believe there is a cable car line that runs along the Embarcadero from the foot of Market out to the ballpark.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM

There are lots of hostels - but the only one I can think of that has parking might be the Adelaide. They do charge for parking though.

I'm sure others might have some other suggestions for hostels w/ parking.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red Roof Inn down near the airport is $75 per night and 18 yrs is okay
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM

If they can get the Red Roof for $75 - that would be cheaper than most any hostel by the time they factor in parking.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

The Red Roof Inn requires 21, also. Some of the chains say 18 ok, but not when you look into the specific hotels in California.

So, hostels with parking in safe neighborhoods with access to AT&T park?
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Have them take a 21 yo friend w/ them. That will solve the whole problem

Plus a quad will cost less per person than a triple . . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -