transportation to/from airport honolulu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

planning to take city bus from honolulu with a carry on a d back pak..... anyone know of any other inexpensive ways to get to hotel with a family of 4? Cab? Limo?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM
bonniebroad

Kelkie, you can catch an airport shuttle to Waikiki for $8 one-way, $13 roundtrip on the street level in front of baggage claim at the airport. They're always there - red shirts say "shuttle vehicle." (You need to reserve only for the pickup at your hotel when you return to the airport.) You can take 2 pieces of luggage plus carry-on per person, as I recall.

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:37 AM
bonniebroad

Here's the site for one of the companies providing shuttle service:

http://www.islandexpresstransport.com/

(Beautiful music when you stay on their Home Page for a minute...... )

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:40 AM
bonniebroad

I double-checked some facts on the company that we used when we were there. They seem to have been replaced by some others, so don't know if you'd still see red shirts, but I'm sure they'll be easily identifiable in that area of the airport!

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:31 AM

with 4 of you, you might consider renting a car...They are quite cheap in Hawaii. Use it to get to your hotel and so some touring your first day then return it.

The problem with the bus is that they can be very sticky about luggage. if the driver doesn't think it will fit on your lap he can refuse you. The shuttles are fine, but 4 x 8 = $32 and a economy car can be about that price for 24 hours. Try calling Alamo and tell them you'd like the Costco discount.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:00 PM
bonniebroad

Icuy, does Alamo check for your Costco card when you pick up the car? I've seen you give that advice before and wondered, in case the traveler is not a Costco member. (We are....) I realized that Kelkie might get by as cheaply by renting a car, but thought he/she might be someone who doesn't want to drive in the Honolulu traffic.

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Good point, BB. Alamo has never asked for the card number and has never asked to see it when picking up the car. I've probably rented from them 25 times (at least) since I had a costco card.

For 4 people who can't take the city bus due to luggage, under age 25, or who don't want to drive (or park), I'd say a taxi would be a better choice. It's about $28 to Waikiki and goes right to the front door of your hotel. No delays while they drop off at other hotels.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM

If a taxi is less, Icuy, I would agree with you, of course. Would be much more convenient....... I've never taken a taxi in Honolulu.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM
bonniebroad

Icuy, I will try my Costco discount next time we rent a car. I just wondered about that, if Alamo ever asked. And I didn't recall what a taxi costs to Waikiki so I didn't think of that when recommending a shuttle. Thank you for the Costco advice.