Search

transportation in myrtle beach

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:51 AM
kma
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transportation in myrtle beach

I will be staying at the Marriott Grande Dunes Resort next week without a car. I plan to just sit on the beach, but would like to go one afternoon to barefoot landing. What is the easist and cheapest way to get there from the resort?
thanks.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:15 AM
iceeu2

I would call Marriott...they probably have a shuttle.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM

kma,

what a brave soul you are--vacationing in MB without a car!

I would try iceeu2's suggestion first--it will be free if the Marriott does provide a shuttle. But I didn't see reference to a shuttle or on-site car rental in their website (http://marriott.com/property/propert...WT_Ref=mi_left).

A taxi is possible, but it will probably cost about $40. For that you could probably rent a car for a day (and hit more than just Barefoot, for instance Broadway at the Beach, which has more stuff actually, and both are about a 10 minute drive from your hotel). In fact, Enterprise has a NMB location very near your hotel, will charge about $40 for a car (for 24 hours), and they'll come pick you up (and presumably take you back to the hotel). The website for the local office in NMB is: http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental...ebTransaction7

We do have limited public transportation, called Lymo. They have buses and vans and operate in the area in which you will be staying. As I read their schedule for your area (here is the link: http://www.golymo.com/r8-2.htm), you could walk to the corner of 79th and Kings Hwy (it will be about 1/2 to 3/4 mile from your hotel) and catch a bus that runs about every 2 hours.

I glanced at the other routes, but none of them will get you from Marriott to Barefoot.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:08 AM

We stay at the Forest Dunes, and there's always a trolly that goes up and down the road. You may want to call your hotel and see if this local trolley goes to your area.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:50 AM
kma
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Since my husband will be in meetings all day, I might have to get him to spring for a rental car. I can't tell if the weather will be warm enough to sit on the beach, so I might need to be able to wander.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM

You will definitely want a car in MB. Plus there are 2 large outlets within a triangle of 10 miles.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM
iceeu2

kma, if you are in good shape and run or walk, it's only about 4 miles from where you are staying to one of the Tanger Outlet Centers. Plus, you can get there on the backroad and not have to get on busy hwy 17.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Just to clarify,

Tcapp, the trolley is part of the Lymo service. They have much more service in the summer than next week (April).

iceeu2, you can't quite get from the Marriott at 82nd to Tanger Outlets without traveling on Hwy 17. You can get as far as the Dunes neighborhood, but then you have to hop onto 17 to get to Lake Arrowhead Rd, and then left on Kings Rd. Singleton Swash (a tidal creek) separates the Dunes area from the Arcadian Shores area wher Tanger is.

And in April you won't have any real traffic to contend with, so 17 is actually not busy (nor are any of the other roads--heck, I drive to work through the heart of MB on Kings Hwy in the off-season). Walking along Hwy 17 I would NOT recommend. There is no sidewalk between Dunes and Lake Arrowhead Rd!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:00 AM
iceeu2

kma and beachdweller, sorry for giving you incorrect info, but honestly when we were down over Easter, I swear I thought we drove from the Marriott all the way on the back road (was it Ocean Blvd?) and came out behind Tanger Outlet without getting onto 17..the road we came out on..you would have to turn left to be right at the drive to Tanger and straight into the new Marshall's and old Walmart..but, beachdweller is there and I am 400 miles away.

Honestly, I will stick to what I know from now on...Sorry. Have fun in Myrtle Beach..You will like it.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
kma
Original Poster

thanks everyone. I looked at the lymo schedule. Am I wrong, or could I on Route 15 at 79th and get to Broadway at the beach? My husband insist that I don't need a car. I think he wants to keep me away from the stores. If the weather is nice, I will enjoy just being at the beach. Again thanks everyone for your help....
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM

I can't imagine being in MB without a car. I DEFINITELY can't imagine walking BACK from the outlet malls - are you supposed to CARRY all your goodies back on your 4 mile walk?

Spring for a rental car for the day you want to be out and about!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Starrsville has it exactly right.
There are a lot of other nice things to do in the area also--and how are you going to go out to dinner. Rent a car for the week--bid on Priceline.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM

kma,

you are right about Route 15 (just remember to take 15 North going back or you will end up at Coastal Grand Mall, far south of your hotel).

iceeu2,

don't sweat it; you probably took Ocean Blvd through the Dunes, got onto 17 for just a short stretch, then right on Lake Arrowhead Rd, left on Kings Rd. and that would have gotten you to the front entrance of Tanger, as you described. But don't feel alone about Singleton Swash having been an obstacle; when George Washington toured this area, he had to cross the swash to continue south along the beach! (check it out at http://www.ego.net/us/sc/myr/history/wash1.htm)
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:28 PM
GoTravel

There is no way I'd try to navigate Myrtle Beach without a car.

Myrtle Beach isn't really a public transport city. Rent a car and tell your husband he can try and bus it all over town.
Hey Chuck, what the heck does Lymo mean anyway?

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Lymo?

Not sure about the origin of the name--another brilliant marketing ploy?

I guess it's better than the actual name of the public transit service here: Waccammaw Regional Transportation Assoc.

But hey, some of the buses look like trolleys; some have tropical fish painted on them. Actually not a terrible alternative to renting a car, at least during the day. They do run to most of the major attraction areas.

But I agree with GoT that the MB area is so spread out, and especially for dining out at night, that it's hard to not have a car.