Should I rent a car for a week while in GC?

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Should I rent a car for a week while in GC?

My wife and two kids (ages 8 and 10) will be staying at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort Feb 3 - 10. I wanted to know if it is worth renting a car for the week? If so, who do you reccommend and what type of car? Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Yes, do rent a car. This is a great island to explore. We rented from Hertz right next to the airport. Most of the cars are small and the steering wheel of our rental was on the right - and you do drive on the left in the Caymans. That was interesting for us Americans!! There is also a local car rental company just across the street from the Marriott. We also stayed there, just after it re-opened following the devastating hurricane. We loved it! The beach isn't too wide, but was good enough for the number of people staying at the hotel. It gets wider a short distance up the beach. Be sure to visit the little restaurant/bar across the street for an inexpensive but delicious breakfast. We also loved The Wharf Restaurant. Take a drive to the Botanical Garden and visit Rum Point while you're out there. There's a nice casual restaurant right on the beach where we enjoyed lunch. You may also want to take your kids to the Turtle Farm. We loved Grand Cayman but it can be a bit pricey.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM

While I agree that renting a car is good idea for exploring any island, I wouldn't necessarily suggest that you rent one for the entire portion of your stay. Chances are good that you'll be too tired on the day of your arrival to want to rent a car for anything, and you might want to take a portion of the next day just to relax and get yourselves on island time.

A regular should be fine on GC. Roads are good and there's no real need to get a vehicle with 4WD unless you just want more room for your family. No matter what kind of car you get and for you how you want to hire it, you should reserve in advance. February can be a busy time of year.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM

We have always rented a car for the entire week, but sometimes it sits for days and we don't use it If you have a shuttle option from the airport (or taxi for much less than a days rental rate) you may want to just rent by the day from Andys across the street from the Marriott...I think the Marriott has a rental company on site as well. We stay at the condo next door so don't eat out as much as you will, but your kids are older than ours and can walk to the many restaurants around your hotel.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM

We didn't rent a car at all the week we were in GC. The bus system is a simple one to use and taxi cabs are plentiful. Many things are within walking distance. You could always decide to rent a car for just a day if you want.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM

Rent a car for a least a couple days. We like to rent a jeep and keep the top off. Great way to explore the East side. We hate being confined in a car when in the gorgeous weather of the island.

Not sure if you would want this for kids though - safety issues. The jeep we rent barely fits hubby & I with luggage but we make it work. There are larger jeep type vehicles.

I don't remember if we book in advance. There are several car rental places across from the airport. Have never had trouble with any.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Yes on the car!!! I used Andy's and we were happy w/ them. Our car wasn't exactly show room quality- but it wasn't anywhere near breaking down either. When most people are throwing snorkel gear in and out over and over again I would expect some wear. The company has 2 conv. locations-one being directly across from the airport.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. How close to restaurants/activities is the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? I think that will help in my decision.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:54 AM

Yes, rent a car. And I second Andy's. Short walk from the airport, very nice folks. Then you have it all week and you're not a prisoner of your hotel.

Just be sure you can handle the sit on the right drive on the left. It takes some time to get used to.

Traffic can be a bit of a bear too around rush hour and noon time. Stay away from Georgetown when the ships are in.

Peace, Greenie.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM

We rented one and loved the freedom to see the whole island. There are things to do on the other side and we drove to different beaches which was great. As long as the parking is free at the Marriott, I would definitly rent one. Here is the website for Andy's:

http://www.andys.ky

And if you send an e-mail here requesting an Andy's discount code they will send it to you. I can't remember what it was.

[email protected]
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to rent a car for the week, hopefully from Andy's, and enjoy the freedom to see the island and drive on the other side of the road.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I know this might be late, but I also recommend the trip out to rum point. We rented a car but missed this place the first time around. Also we took a tour with Cayman Kayaks, very close to rum point. It was awesome kayaking through the healthy mangroves in the protected area of the island. I think that alone was worth the car! And snorkeling just up from there is a spot where you can find bright red starfish, really very cool. Have fun!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM

We used Thrifty at the airport and found them to be the cheapest (even cheaper than Andy's).You will be fine renting a sedan as Grand Cayman is very flat,so no need to spend the money on a 4x4.

Have a nice trip!
Christie
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 07:48 AM

NHazel - you are responding to a thread that's almost 10 years old - it's from 2006. No doubt OP has come & gone.