Transfer from La Guardia to JFK and vica versa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a trip to Berlin,Germany from 7/2/10 to 8/2/10 with Delta. Flying in from Atlanta to La Gurdia,NYC and out of JFK 4 hrs later.
QU1) :will our luggage be sent directly to Berlin TXL from our departure city VPS,FL?
Qu;2):coming back around 2:25PM on Monday and leaving La Guardia 4Hrs later,
will our luggage be checked through to VPS,FL after customs or do we have to
transport it to La Guardia and check it in at L.G. ourselves?

Felizitas
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM

1) Ask you airline. But even if they say yes, they'll transfer it, I would collect it myself if you really want luggage when you arrive.
2) You will have to collect luggage from an international flight and go through customs. Whether you can give it back to Delta to transport for you or not, is again a question for Delta. But again I'll say, if you want your luggage (or a better shot of having it) I'd transport it yourself.

I notice you havent' asked HOW to travel. While there is a shuttle bus, depending on how many you are, it may be the same price (or less) and a lot faster to just take a taxi.
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM

I'm not aware that airlines transfer luggage from one airport to another for you.

And on the way back from Europe you will have to go through Immigration and pick up your luggage to go through customs.

Agree that even if an airline were willing to do this there is no way I would trust them - I'd want it with me from one airport to another.

four hours should be enough time for the transfer unless your flight coming in from europe is late and there are delays at Immigration (I've had it take from 10 minutes to more than an hour - depending on how many planes land at once.)

Also, be aware that one runway at JFK is being reconstructed - so there are likely to be more delays than usual - despite the changes in the flight schedules.

For 2 people I would grab a cab to LGA versus waiting for a bus to make stops at a bunch of different terminals.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Your airline WILL NOT transfer your luggage between the two NYC airports. In February, we arrived at LGA in the middle of rush hour, 6pm, and were in JFK in 20 minutes via taxi. Sorry I cannot tell you the price, others from my company were with me and someone else handled paying the fare. You should be fine with 4h barring some unexpected lengthy delay. We had just one hour to make the connection and we all decided to carry-on luggage.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM

These are separate flights and you need to deal with your own luggage.

Four hours should be enough time - even on the way back when you will have to deal with Immigration and customs - since the airports are only 15 to 45 minutes apart (depending on traffic).

There are shuttle buses that run, I think, every 30 minutes or so - but I would grab a cab to avoid wasting time - since you need to arrive at the second airport 2 hours prior to flight time to have time to wait on line to check in, go through security (often 30 minutes or more) and not have to gallop to your gate.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Sorry - I have landed at JFK on international flights at least 50 times - and depending on time of day and how many flights have landed recently, it can take from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours from wheels down to getting out into the street with your luggage. (The times more than an hour were due to delay in receiving luggage - but this can happen if a bunch of international flights land at once.)
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM

I don't think 4 hours will be enough time to go through customs, get to LaGuardia and then go through security. If you arrival flight is even a bit delayed you will have a problem making the connecting flight. Make sure there is another flight you can make if you miss the connection.