train fromPhila to NY

Search

train fromPhila to NY

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train fromPhila to NY

I will be in Philadelphia for a week in late March and would like to day trip to NY. How often do trains run and how long would the train ride take? My main interestin going is to maybe do some shopping and visit the Met Museum. Will it be simple to get on the subway to do this?
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Amtrak runs trains all the time between these two cities along the Northeast Corridor. The round-trip ticket from Phila. 30th Street to NYC Penn Station will cost you a little more than $100 (unreserved seat, but you'll get one no problem...people only end up standing around Thanksgiving). The train ride is approx. 1hr. 30 min. You can find schedules, rates and reserve a ticket on-line at Amtrak.com. For a less expensive trip, you can take the Septa R3 train to Trenton, then transfer to Jersey Transit to Penn St. New York. Much cheaper (approx. $25?), but the NJ Transit train makes a lot of stops between Trenton and NYC, making the trip about an hour longer.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM

The Amtrak trains run nearly every hour and the trip from 30th Street to Penn Station is under 90 minutes
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Where do you want to shop - what stores are you looking at? The Met is not in a shopping neighborhood - so it depends onwhat you are trying to cmbine.

Also - are you going to the Met for a speciak exhibition - or department - otherwise you could spend 3/4 days there.

Give us more info to get in NYC travel options.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Take Greyhound. $24 round trip. You'll get up there within 2 hours. Forget NJ Transit - the hassle and time spent on the train isn't worth it. Greyhound's at 10th and Filbert in Center City, and drops you off in the Times Square area in NY.

By the way, from the Port Authority bus terminal in NY you can connect inside to the subway and catch a train uptown to the Met.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:16 PM

I would opt for the NJ Transit/Septa trains over a bus any time. It's not a big "hassle" at all - changing trains in the tiny Trenton station is a snap. It's probably just over two hours total each way (I have ridden the NJ Transit train but not all the way from Trenton to Penn Station). It costs a bit more but worth it for a smoother ride in my view.

Andrew