Search

Commute to Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commute to Manhattan

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me.

My husband and I are currently living in Philadelphia. He recently got offered a position in Manhattan, so we are looking at moving in the next few months. We have a baby on the way so I thought that living in NJ may be a better (and cheaper) idea.

We're looking for a 2 bedroom apt in a nice area and preferably near a train station. Our rent range is around $2000. Anyone know of any good places that fit our description?

thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Where in Manhattan will your husband be working? It makes a difference if you plan on using the train. If memory serves me correct (it's been 15 years since I lived in NJ and commuted to NYC) the NJ trains don't go into Manhattan but rather you take the train to the PATH station and catch a shuttle into Manhattan. The train works best for those who work downtown in the financial district. If he's going to be working in mid-town it might be easier to commute by bus. Either way, getting in/out of Manhattan at rush hour is a bit of a trip so the closer you live the better. For towns with good bus service try looking at Teaneck, Englewood, Tenafly, Dumont, Closter, Demarest, Fort Lee, to name a few. If Hubby can take the train places like Westwood, Hillsdale, Oradell, Emerson, River Edge, Hackensack might be good choices. Just so you know, most of these are very desirable "close to NYC" communities but hubby will spend close to 1 1/2 hours on a one-way door-to-door commute.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Try on the Jersey side of the GW Bridge. A little town called Piermont New York or Nyack. Great area and the 9A runs directly to the city. I haved lived in this area since 1967 Also Tenafly NJ has great schools. Travel 10 miles north of the bridge and it is a different world.
Bob
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Do you want to stay within close range of Phila? If so, take a look at Yardley or Newtown in Bucks Co., or Ewing in Mercer Co. NJ Transit from Trenton or Hamilton is about an hour to Penn Station.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM

A_Traveller is partially right. There are numerous ways to commute to Manhattan from NJ. It does matter where you live how to best get there.

There are NJ Transit train lines that run directly from NJ into NYC Penn Station. Usually towns like these have a premium real estate cost associated with them since they are "desirable" communities for folks commuting into the city. There are also some train lines that will take you either to Newark Penn Station where you can connect to a NYC train or to the PATH train system (kind of like a light rail) that runs through Jersey City or Hoboken into various points in NYC (north as far as 33rd street and south to the WTC).

Perhaps your best bet is to look at a map on the NJ Transit website to see what towns are serviced by trains.

Your $2000 rent budget should put you in a decent town (is that just rent or utilities too?)

Any towns on the Midtown Direct Train Line would be nice. Maplewood, Millburn, Summit, Chatham, Madison are all nice downtown type communities with nice restaurants & attractive homes.

Another thought is for you to determine what the max amount of time DH is willing to commute in one direction. This way you can draw a line as to how far away from the city you're willing to consider.

The bus is another route.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Hoboken, New Jersey is a great choice for you. It's very close to NYC, has alot of young families, and lots of great restaurants. There's also alot of history and character in Hoboken. My husband and I live here and we both work in NYC. You get alot of space for your money, as compared to NYC, and you can't beat the commute. You can commute by ferry, train, or bus. All are quite convenient and easy to get to from almost any point in Hoboken, as the town is only one mile square. Real estate is probably at its peak right now, but it looks like the town is just going to keep getting better. You're so close to NYC it's almost as if you live there (you can still take advantage of all NYC has to offer), yet you have a small neighborhood feel when you come home at the end of the day. Let me know if I can offer you any other info on Hoboken. Good luck!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM

I would suggest Edison, Princeton Junction, West Windsor, Plainsboro, or Matawan. Your husband can take a direct line on NJ Transit into Penn Station New York. Monthly tickets can be about $100-150 more than taking the Path, but you'll get a bigger, newer apartment for much less. (A 3-bedroom with garage in Edison, for example, will run around $1300/month!)
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:43 PM

Another vote for Hoboken. I would also consider West New York and Edgewater.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM

If you're set on North Jersey, towns like Hoboken, Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, Leonia, Edgewater, North Bergen, West New York, Weehawken and even Jersey City might work for you. You might also to consider Rockland and Westchester counties in New York or Long Island. For $2K, you might be able to find a place in a good neighborhood in one of the boroughs.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

I lived in Morristown NJ for 2 years (2002-2004). We rented a nice, recently renovated townhouse with 2 large bedrooms for $1800. The house was almost across the street from the train station. I was working on Wall Street, and the commute was about 1 hr 15-30 min each way. If you work downtown, the best route is to take the train to Hoboken and jump on the PATH or ferry. If you work in midtown, you can take the train straigh into Penn Station. Morristown is wonderful - lots of young families and good restaurants. It has a very vibrant downtown. Neighboring towns such as Madison, Chatham, and Summit are also wonderful. Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM

With a baby on the way you might want a leafy suburb and child-centered community with good schools.

Please do yourself a favor and take a walk around Cranford, NJ. Lovely safe, old-fashioned town and you can walk to the train station.

Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Montclair/Glen Ridge are wonderful towns. Mid town direct trains to penn station or to hoboken for down town service.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM

summit, nj is another place to look. there are apartment buildings from the 1920's with high ceilings, huge rooms just north of the train station in a beautiful area of town. trains run to both midtown and hoboken for downtown.

if he will be working midtown east, you might consider westchester county or connecticut for an easier commute.