Chicago...

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago...

Good morning,
Three of us (females, around the big 60) are going to the Windy City in June and plan to stay at the Travelodge. It is not the Astoria but budget wise and location seems to be workable. Would appreciate any input from fellow Chicagoeans or others who have visited this city. Our itinerary includes

Friday…Navy Pier, Be-bops-Jazz (lunch),
John Hancock-sunset for drinks

Saturday…Magnificent Mile,
Pizzaria Uno-lunch, Grant Park,
House of Blues-dinner

Sunday…Millennium Park,
Wicked@2:00, Daley Plaza,
Sears Tower…not tour

Monday…Chicago River Tour, Art Institute,
Lake Shore Drive

Does this seem to be a "workable" plan and see the jest of Chicago?

Thanks much. Also, would love to meet anyone in this area. Mycuppajava
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM
JJ5

You sound like you will have a ball and picked some great things to do. The only thing I would suggest is to look closely at a Map. Group together the closer things on the same day. You don't need to make many changes.

You could see Art Institute/Grant Park on the same day and wouldn't backtrack- Do not do Grant Park on the Mag. Mile day, minimally do that change. You need a full day on the Mag. Mile with those eating choices. That would be the better day to take the Chicago River Tour actually. But if you can't move the River tour, at least move Grant Park to the Art Institute Day. Grant Park takes no time.

On Sunday before you go to Wicked you might apportion some time to wander State St. between Millenium Park and the theatre. You may want to hit lunch at Tratoria #10 or Atwood Cafe that day-if you have left enough time and skip a large breakfast. You would need reservations. They are both good and within 1 block of the theatre.

Trattoria #10 is downstairs and the perfect place for a ladies elegant salad and lunch before a show. They have a butternut ravioli that you could split and also try some other delightful treats.

Atwood has more traditional meals, fresh salads and is much noiser- but a good atmosphere pre-show as well.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

JJ5...Thanks. Is this itinerary possible and workable? Thanks so very much.

Friday…Art Institute, Grant Park, Navy Pier, Be-bops-
Jazz (lunch), John Hancock-sunset

Saturday…Magnificent Mile, Chicago River Tour,
Pizzaria Uno-lunch, House of Blues-dinner

Sunday…Millennium Park/State Street
Sears Tower…not tour

Monday… Lake Shore Drive

Tuesday…
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I met my penpals there for a long weekend and had a blast. One fun thing we enjoyed was a BYOB picnic and outdoor concert at the Millenium Park. Have you checked their schedule? It's very festive and the sound is amazing. Hope you have a ball and hope the weather is good. We also enjoyed taking the water taxi from Navy Pier up to the Aquarium/Planetarium/Museum.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are open to any suggestions and appreciate all responses. I just posted somewhere else because I am new on this site and could not find this one. Asa I hit post my reply...this one popped up. Please bear with me. I will try not be so annoying.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM
JJ5

That's much better. Saturday and Sunday are perfect combinations. I would do Navy Pier and more Northern things on Monday and beef out that with maybe a shopping trip to Oak St. or trendy River North or North of that area shops or maybe even to Lincoln Park and the zoo- going N. on the transit.

Lake Shore Drive is just a big wide street. You could also do out on the lake boat trip -2 hour or a little more excursion in June. And/or could get the Aquarium in for a couple of hours and take the water taxi between as the other poster noted. That would be fun.

There are hundreds of good restaurants in the River, River North, MM, and LOOP areas. Hit www.metromix.com for some rec's. Althought some of the best ones are "off" the Michigan Ave. tourist line. If you walk one or two blocks into the side streets, you'll find even better, IMHO. Ditka's is good.

You can plug in the Travelodge's address and see what is around you- distance wise on metromix. If you are up North by Oprah's studio, go to the FLAT TOP GRILL. It's a wonderful fun thing with the girls, a mongolian stir fry bbq and you put in only the ingredients you want. We had a ball there. Also tapas can be fun for 3.

Emilios, Cafe Iberico etc. are some good tapas. Frontera Grill is great Mexican.

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Across the street from Hancock/Water Tower is the Ghirradelli chocolate store. They have the best milkshakes in the whole world!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Mycuppajava wrote: Is this itinerary possible and workable? Thanks so very much.

Friday…Art Institute, Grant Park, Navy Pier, Be-bops-
Jazz (lunch), John Hancock-sunset

Saturday…Magnificent Mile, Chicago River Tour,
Pizzaria Uno-lunch, House of Blues-dinner

Sears Tower…not tour

Monday… Lake Shore Drive

It's best to do the Mag Mile on a weekday - I lived there for years, and the difference in crowds is considerable. Since the Hancock is right on the Mag Mile, finish your shopping day with drinks there. Sunset will be very late in June, so you should have plenty of time.

Navy Pier would be best on the other weekday. Don't miss the Ferris Wheel. And watch out for the parking fees, they have been hiked to indecent levels.

House of Blues - any particular reason you want to go there for dinner?

Do Millennium park on the same day as the Art institute; they are adjacent to each other. A weekend day is usually fine. If there is a special exhibit you want to see, look into getting tickets in advance, as you will be assigned an entry time. www.artic.org

Chicago River Tour - important to get tickets in advance. Do not expect to walk up and buy them on a June weekend. You can easily combine this with Navy pier or Mag Mile, but go early so you don't have shopping bags weighing you down.

Lake Shore Drive is a great way to see Chicago - take a trip up north, then come back down around dusk on a weekend day. Play Aliota, Haynes and Jeremiah's "Lake Shore Drive" song as you go ;-)

Don't bother with the Sears Tower. the Hancock has better views, shorter lines and no silly movie to sit through.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for so much help. Is this itinerary at a better pace?

Friday…Magnificent Mile, Pizzaria Uno-lunch, John Hancock-sunset (Don't know about the shopping bags)

Saturday…Millennium Park, Art Institute, Grant Park, Lakeshore Drive

Monday… Navy Pier, Be-hops Jazz-lunch,
Chicago River Cruise

Tuesday…
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Sorry, Art Institute's URL should be
www.artic.edu

and the River Boat Tour at the Architecture Foundation is available through
www.architecture.org
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Patg...may I ask where you live now? What are you best thoughts from Chicago and the area that you enjoyed most?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM
JJ5

Yes, that last set is grouped much better. Make the River Cruise reservations and plan your day around that time frame.

I'm a South Sider but worked in the LOOP for years in my youth and went to U.of I. and Roosevelt U. as well.

What tourists like and where people who live here gather can be two different things.

You may be interested in other areas like Printers' Row.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
JJ5

And if were I staying downtown in June- I'd be at U.S. Cellular Field on the red line if the team were in town.

10 games are sold out already. I sure hope it doesn't get like the Cubs and stays easily doable and fan friendly at Sox park.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Mycuppajava,

It sounds like you have a pretty good and fun basic itinerary. I'm sure that things will change once you get here and get enticed by other fun things to do, so don't stress too much about holding to a rigid schedule.

Also, be sure to check out www.ChicagoReader.com if you want to see what is happening event-wise (music, theater, whatever). Locals use this paper like the bible!

I might also suggest Giordano's or Lou Malnati's for better deep-dish pizza quality. Yes they are chains but I think that Uno and Due and Gino's are not keeping up their pizza quality due to high tourist turnover.

For great jazz venues, stick to Green Mill or Jazz Showcase. Buddy Guy's Legends and B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted are fun for blues, and there is honestly not much fun about seeing the Daley Plaza.

What kind of things is your group most into?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

The excitement is increasing by each post. Your guys are great!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:05 AM

Hey also don't forget to check out the Cultural Center (right across the street from Millenium Park on Michigan between Washington and Randolph), where they have the largest Tiffany stained-glass ceiling, and also free music concerts at noon and usually around 7pm every weekday.

Be sure to also check out Chinatown (Joy Yee's and Phoenix Cafe are my favorites), Lincoln Square neighborhood (great German-influenced bars and a myriad of restaurants), Andersonville neighborhood (Clark & Foster - check out the Hop Leaf bar, where you can get beers from all over the world), Hot House for great international music (Balbo just west of Wabash).

You may be here during Blues Fest as well which I think is usually in June. That is always fun--and you will most likely be in town for any number of festivals in the city!

Have fun! Chicago is another world in the summertime. (Don't even ask me about the wintertime though...)
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:59 AM

Dandalee has good suggestions. Since you are staying in the south Loop, you might want to visit the Printer's Row neighborhood (and the Prairie Avenue Bookshop). You are also close to Buddy Guy's Blues Club for late night entertainment. The Hilton on south Michigan has a beautiful lobby, worth seeing on a walk-through.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

If you have transportation, you can take a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio in Oak Park.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:04 AM

the "el" goes right to oak park. stay on til end of line. (harlem)

Nice restaurant there is "Poor Phil's" n south side of el tracks on marion street.

also, with your out of state/city driver's license you can get a welcome pack from the marshall field's (or is it already Macy's)customer visitor service which includes free coffee and cheesecake, and a discount on shopping all day.( i have not been there since it changed owners. this may no longer be true.)

i liked the architecturally important signature store on state street more than the tower, even for shopping.

sounds like a lot of fun.

i agree with no need to do sear's tower after hancock.(my favorite). I also love hancock in the dead of night. the views and lights are amazing.

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
JJ5

IMHO, it depends. John Han. is great view, but the Sears Tower is still the Sears Tower. It's a different aspect too as it's not as close to the lake.

Another great view is from the Swissotel's pool room near the top floor. You can view the curve of the lakefront all the way South to Hyde Park from there.