Train from Hudson Valley or south to NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a quick trip to Albany for a play, then NYC the next morning for a Yankees afternoon game. We want to avoid the cost of Amtrak and take the transit authority train from somewhere south of Albany into NYC. I've read in a post from 2003 that Newburgh is a good place to go from, but since we're driving from Albany to wherever we catch it, is this a good idea or is there a better place to catch the train. We will need to park 2 cars overnight wherever we end up. We need to get to Grand Central in time to drop our stuff at the hotel (nearby) and grab the subway to Yankee Stadium. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:37 AM

If you mean you want to take Metro-North (vs Amtrak) the Hudson line goes only as far north as Poughkeepsie. There is no stop at Newburgh - I believe that is Amtrak only.
You can check for info at

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Or are you just taling about regular Amtrak vs Acela?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 06:15 AM

Well Rachel your in the right area but you will have to cross the Newburgh Beacon bridge and get the train to GCS from beacon train station Just take the NYS thruway to the Newburgh exit / rt 84 take rt 84 east over the Newburgh Beacon bridge at the toll plaza get in the far right lane the exit is right out of the toll plaza on the far right go up the exit make another right at the light and go 3/4 of a mile make right to the beacon train station , plenty of parking
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM

You can drive from Albany to New Paltz (then cross the river to Poughkeepsie) or to Newburgh (and cross over to Beacon). I think it's easier driving and directions getting to Beacon, but I like that Poughkeepsie has a parking garage. Both locations have both parking-lot AND on-street parking -- the spaces are numbered (even the on-street spaces) and you pay at a machine. I would NOT park overnight at one of those on-street spaces, as I've seen too many broken windows or leftover piles of glass, especially in Beacon. Most spots at both locations are reserved for monthly-passholders, but I'd take my chances at getting a fine for parking in a "passholder" space over parking on the street. If you're heading down later in the day, or weekends, you should have no problem -- parking is free weekends & holidays -- but make sure you get in the garage or in the parking lot.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. sounds like newburgh/beacon will work out just fine. we'll be parking from sun morning to monday night so it sounds like we'll be able to park in the lot.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Rob

How many people are traveling? It might be as economical if you drive down and park in the city or across the river in NJ. IT will probably be more convenient and driving into the city on a Sunday morning should not be a problem. The drive will take about 2 1/2 hours, maybe a little less