Traffic Into NYC on Friday Evening

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Cincinnati to NYC. We plan to stop outside NYC on Friday, June 8. We will probably hit western New Jersey on I-80 around 6 pm. What will the traffic be like on a Friday evening, given that we are heading towards the city? We are considering staying in the Parsippany/Rockaway area, but might stay in eastern PA if we are going to hit terrible traffic. Thanks for your help.
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM

If I understand you correctly, you are heading eastbound on Friday evening but not trying to get into NYC that day, right? Most of the traffic on a Friday in the summer is on the way out (and to a lesser extent in to) the city) or in NJ headed down the shore. The Parsippany area shouldn't have more than the usual amount of commuter traffic (people who live in one area of NJ and work in another) I doubt it would be problematic, but if you do get stuck in some traffic somewhere along the way, do you have to stop driving at 6pm?
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM

If you are staying In Parsippany, then there should not be a problem. If you are coming into Manhattan, there could be a problem.
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick replies. I guess the title of my post was not very clear. Yes, we are not coming into the city until Saturday morning. And no, we do not have to stop driving at 6. I just didn't want to keep driving towards NY if we were going to be sitting in traffic, given that we will have a long drive that day.

East Stroudsburg, PA would be the perfect place to stop, but the hotels are double the price of those in Parsippany. I guess because it is a gateway to the Poconos? So I would rather make it into NJ. Glad to hear it doesn't sound like we will get too tied up.
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Parsippany hotels are quite cheap on the weekends because they mostly serve weekday corporate visitors (some major companies nearby). Nothing much in the area that would draw weekenders. Nice hotels for the money, and if you just need a place to stop off, it will work fine.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Parsippany has a number of large office parks and there is often heavy traffic on route 80 from that area into and out of hte city anywehre near rush hour. That said - by 6 pm on a Friday afternoon the traffic shuld not be bumper to bumper unless there is an acident or construction (but the latter is usually done from 11 pm on unless it is emergency construction).

(Yes, I worked there for a couple of years - and while it was sometimes free flowing on a Fri afternoon - it can be heavy - with people heading to the city or the shore.)