Tours in Monument Valley

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Tours in Monument Valley

We (us and two grandchildren) will be going in mid June and we would love to do a Navajo led tour of the monuments. I think we would like to do a private tour, and didn't know which one would be the best value for money, and give the children the best overview of the Navajo way of life, as well as a fairly extensive tour of the valley. Any and all experiences, both good and not so good are welcome.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:29 PM

You don't say where you are staying so I'm not sure this will help. But I stayed at Goulding's a few years back and arranged a tour with them. I went in April and there were only 5 of us on the tour but it could have fit more. We did the all day tour and our guide Mike made the best burgers for lunch. He asked me if I was Navajo because he thought I was named after the sun when I introduced myself. I had no idea my name and the sun in Navajo sound very similar. So it was a very nice experience and I would go again. I did the all day tour as I only had 2 full days there and drove outside the valley for 1 of those days.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

We will be staying at The View Hotel for only one night, so we would only have time for a morning tour. I think we would enjoy a private tour or one with fewer people better than one with more people. I have had a look at a few, but not sure which tour company to go for. Any experiences within the last couple of years would be great.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 08:06 PM

We participated in a tour two years ago but just booked it thru our hotel front desk. Also ... Sorry - a little off subject but just an FYI - we enjoyed the self guided tour we did thru valley of the gods as well - no commentary but beautiful! And while crowded, the nearby Antelope Canyon was incredible.