Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Guided Tours - Monument Valley & Canyon de Chelly

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 04:56 AM
Sue B

I've been reading a lot of great information here about these sites. My question is about the guided tours available. Do you have to make advance reservations? Is it just you and a guide or are there scheduled tours that go out every day and you just join the group?
Thanks for any replies.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 06:35 AM
rqf

Monument Valley - half and full day tours go out of Goulding's Lodge. YOu can arrange for a jeep tour of the Valley in the parking lot at the Visitor's center.
You can also arrange for a tour in a car at the Visitor' Center. Another option is to drive the road, in your own car, that goes through the park. If you do this you cannot leave the road. All tours do leave the road so you get to see more of the Valley. The road is a dirt and usually has plenty of potholes.
Canyon de Chelly = half and full day tours leave from the lodge in the park.
You cannot enter the roads and trails without an Indian guide. Arrangements for a guide can be made in the park. There is only one trail you can take without having a guide and that is the trail to the White House Ruins. Ranger guided tours to the White House Ruins may be offered. You can check this out at the Visitor's Center when you arrive. You can also arrange for a horse ride through the Canyon.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 06:45 AM
J T Kirk

You can also do a horse ride (with Indian guide) through Monument Valley. I highly recommend this. That is the best way to see the place. Awesome. And they let you gallop!!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:45 AM
RB

If you do the guided tours, please post a report here. Just returned from 2nd trip to Monument Valley (with in-laws); visited Canyon de Chelly in '99. Love both areas, and would like to avail myself of the extended sites shown only on the guided tours. If you're visiting these two sites, you may also like the Navajo National Monument off US 160 near Tuba City, AZ. There are two ranger-guided tours, each which contain 13th-century Pueblo ruins. You must make reservations for both tours. The Betatakin Ruin is a 5-mi. guided RT trip by foot. The Keet Seel ruin is 17 mi. RT and can be accessed by horse or foot (primitive camping for hikers). AAA book says Keet Seel tour is not recommended for inexperienced hikers or riders; a couple we chatted with at the site on our '99 trip said it was amazing. We hope to go on our next SW adventure. Even if you don't do the ranger-guided hikes, the public areas afford some amazing views. Here's phone #: 520-672-2366. If you're interested in either ruin tour, make reservs. early. Have fun!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:26 AM
Howard

In answer to your question, you can sign up for the tours at the two sites when you get there. Both sites are well worth your time. Make sure you catch the sunrise at Monument Valley.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 06:38 PM
jackie

Has anyone taken the Navi-hopi tour?